Esteemed Contributor

Re: Three Worrisome Trends in U.S. Higher Education

@software wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@software wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

Maybe people will now be more encouraged to learn a trade.

Some college degrees are over-rated.

@software

I have thought the same thing software, there only seems to be a small number of professions where a college degree is required. .......I have co-workers that have Master Degrees in Psychology, History, Liberal Arts etc.........so what the heck are they doing working in a business office! And look at all the debt these graduates have accrued, and all the student loans they have to pay back...........Like you I think that people these days are better off going to trade schools for training in Technology or other fields..............

My employer requires a degree for any new hire, even for what you & I would consider a clerical or secretarial job.    I work in a college town and my employer thinks we have to compete with the University for employees, I disagree.

I have about 90 college credits, I think I would need about 120 to actually receive a diploma.   I applied for jobs as a BOOKKEEPER and was told I need a degree, although I have over 20 years of experience. I also have management experience, being supervisor over other bookeeepers in a corporation, back in the late 1980s.    I'm seeing this all over, not just with my employer.   I was using an employment service because in the city where I live, (metro area population 1,000,000+) you can hardly get a job without using one.   The lady was so nice but told me she would be wasting my time trying to find something for me because all her clients require a college degree.  

There is a shortage of electricians, plumbers, framers, etc.   These trades can guarantee work, corporations, not so much 

There is a shortage of electricians, plumbers, framers, etc.   These trades can guarantee work, corporations, not so much 

No one can guarantee work......Corporations need people with a wide array of skills.

If a plumber is working for a plumbing company and loses his job because the owner retired or anything other than "cause", he can find another job immediatey or go out on his own.   Not so with a corporate job.

@software any one can be an independent contractor or go work on their own, not just plumbers.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@software wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@software

I have thought the same thing software, there only seems to be a small number of professions where a college degree is required. .......I have co-workers that have Master Degrees in Psychology, History, Liberal Arts etc.........so what the heck are they doing working in a business office! And look at all the debt these graduates have accrued, and all the student loans they have to pay back...........Like you I think that people these days are better off going to trade schools for training in Technology or other fields..............

My employer requires a degree for any new hire, even for what you & I would consider a clerical or secretarial job.    I work in a college town and my employer thinks we have to compete with the University for employees, I disagree.

I have about 90 college credits, I think I would need about 120 to actually receive a diploma.   I applied for jobs as a BOOKKEEPER and was told I need a degree, although I have over 20 years of experience. I also have management experience, being supervisor over other bookeeepers in a corporation, back in the late 1980s.    I'm seeing this all over, not just with my employer.   I was using an employment service because in the city where I live, (metro area population 1,000,000+) you can hardly get a job without using one.   The lady was so nice but told me she would be wasting my time trying to find something for me because all her clients require a college degree.  

No one can guarantee work......Corporations need people with a wide array of skills.

Working for a company who uses trade labor, they are better paying jobs with better benefits than most office jobs.  And yes there is a serious shortage of workers, welders/iron workers are in high demand and getting top wages.

@CrazyDaisy oh yeah.  That wasn't my point though.  The fact is there is NO guarantee even in a trade that you will get out and land a job.  Nothing in life is guaranteed.  Throwing these words around are pointless and don't reflect reality.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@software

@software

Since you live in a college town that might make a big difference in what employers may require.....You hear more and more about employers are valuing experience over degrees....

https://www.aiesec.ca/blog/why-experience-is-more-important-than-your-education/

Lectures, exams and assignments can only teach so much; and the majority of that teaching is theory and knowledge. But a university education cannot really provide the hands-on, practical experience that employers of today need.

Also in the corporate world there is more chance of layoffs in the higher paid positions......versus trades like plumbers, electricians, even A/C repair are always going to be needed........... 

Where "I" live experience doesn't mean a lot when some candidates resume's have degrees on them and mine doesn't.  Experience in some ways, makes some employers think you will require a higher pay.  Thus, the reason for paying fresh out of college w/ little to no experience before a qualified person who has been doing the job for years.  It's a fact........

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@software wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@software

Working for a company who uses trade labor, they are better paying jobs with better benefits than most office jobs.  And yes there is a serious shortage of workers, welders/iron workers are in high demand and getting top wages.

@CrazyDaisy oh yeah.  That wasn't my point though.  The fact is there is NO guarantee even in a trade that you will get out and land a job.  Nothing in life is guaranteed.  Throwing these words around are pointless and don't reflect reality.

Trade schools tend to have a much better placement rate into the field of study.  Simply need to look at all the college graduates who are working at retail and fast food places to see the reality.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@software wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@software

The point of a college degree is to show you have the ability to finish and that you are marketable. You have gone beyond high school and have spent another four years learning from new experiences as well as educating yourself in  a chosen field. Grad school and beyond furthers that skill and knowledge. While trades are needed to blow off college as a non essential especially in today's world is not the way to go. 

It is for some but it is absurd to think that a 4 year degree is for every young person. Some kids simply aren't ready and need a gap year and some will never be ready yet go anyway whether it be that their parents or society pushes them to do so. When they do attend and flunk out it sets them up for feeling like a failure and also in many cases leaves them with huge debt which puts them at a great disadvantage. 

For years it was thought that college taught critical thinking skills but researchers are showing now that isn't necessarily the case. The results show that students are not developing their critical thinking skills to the extent we expect. For their 2009 book, Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses, Richard Arum and Josipsa Rocksa followed a little over 2,300 college students through their first two years of school. They found “a barely noticeable impact on students skills in critical thinking, complex reasoning, and writing” and “no statistically significant gains [in these skills] for at least 45 percent of the students.”

Not every young person is suited for a 4 yr degree. There are other options that might be much more suited to them like community colleges with 2 yr degree and trade schools. We are in great need for skilled workers and for every 3 that leave/retire from that work force only 1 is joining, so there is definitely a need for that. My plumber is making more yearly than some people I know who have graduated with MBA's from distinguished universities who are in great positions. Germany is a country that recognizes this and they have great training and apprenticeship programs that gives many of their young people world class skills that have made them a leader in precision manufacturing.

I was a student that knew I would have flunked out of college because it wasn't what I wanted to do at all at the time, I just wasn't ready or interested. I was accepted to several great schools including Brown and I killed my father when I decided not to go. I took up a trade and years later went to get my business degree and now employ a little over 30 people. I know I chose the right path for me. 

Not every young person should be nor are they meant to be pushed through a single funnel called a 4 yr degree.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@software wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@software

Trade schools tend to have a much better placement rate into the field of study.  Simply need to look at all the college graduates who are working at retail and fast food places to see the reality.

@CrazyDaisy that's not true either.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

UMich is a good way to go.  It is now offering free tuition to families earning $65,000 or less.  In state, of course.  Nice deal.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@software wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@software wrote:

@software

@CrazyDaisy that's not true either.

You can choose to believe that, but you would be wrong.  

Good Day

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have no sympathy for any of them ... many of the problems are their own fault.  For instance ...

Have any of you been following the financial shananigans going on at the public University of Calfornia?   Raising tuition while they have a multi-million dollar stash that they've been using for "goodies" for the staff!  

Univ of Missouri saw enrollment drop dramatically because of the nonsense they allowed to occur on their campus.  

---------

Several of my friends have grandchildren in college or just entering college.  Every single one of the families sent the kids to Catholic colleges/universities - the same ones that we all attended.   

Esteemed Contributor

The only way I know that gives you better odds at landing a job after trade training is through Apprenticeships.  You earn while you learn.  These programs are limited in many states (including mine); but maybe that tide will turn.

Otherwise here are some institutions of higher learning that cater to the trades:

Brightwood Career Institute

• Broomall, Pennsylvania
  • Franklin Mills, Pennsylvania
  • Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  • Computer Numerical Control Machinist
  • Electrical Technician
  • HVAC/R

Brightwood College

• California
  • Maryland
  • Tennessee
  • California
  • Maryland
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Texas

• Electrical Technician
  • Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration

Virginia College

• Alabama
  • Florida
  • South Carolina
And More!
AlabamaFloridaLouisianaMississippi
South CarolinaTennesseeVirginia

• CDL Combination Driver Training
  • CDL Straight Driver Training
  • Electrical Technician
  • HVAC-R
  • Welding Technician

Please note that the oft times lambasted word "college" is used to describe some of these schools.  

*Call Tyrone*