Honored Contributor

Re: Three Worrisome Trends in U.S. Higher Education

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Over 4 years thats a bargain.My DD Art degree was 225,000 and paid for on a full scholarship and she is now a Senior Risk Anaylst in the IT fraud dept of a major bank in NYC. She has been working since graduation in 2010. And she sells her Artwork on her website so wow 120,000 is pretty darn cheap. 

Its not the degree its the person if you are a go getter and hungry you will go far.

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom  That's great but I think you missed the point of the joke, based on previous discussions on this thread.

Happy for your daughter, though.  BUT: could she survive just selling her artwork online?

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom  That's great but I think you missed the point of the joke, based on previous discussions on this thread.

Happy for your daughter, though.  BUT: could she survive just selling her artwork online?

@Cakers3 heck no she would starving artist she has been very successful and has made good money but you can't count on that so I know its a joke (the poster) but it just is a reminder that school is expensive and then you get a job that has nothing to do with what you went to school for.I am thankful she is smart and a hard worker I just wish she could make a living at her Art. Maybe someday!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3 heck no she would starving artist she has been very successful and has made good money but you can't count on that so I know its a joke (the poster) but it just is a reminder that school is expensive and then you get a job that has nothing to do with what you went to school for.I am thankful she is smart and a hard worker I just wish she could make a living at her Art. Maybe someday!Woman Happy

@AngusandBuddhasMom

I think that's true for art majors, music majors and a few I'm probably not recalling at the moment.  Most of them run the risk of never making it, so what?  They should still try, and to my knowledge they can pay even more than shown above for private lessons.  Just think of how a singer trains and what that must cost.

I't's nice to hear your daughter is an artist Smiley Happy  Mine is a writer, although that's not her profession. She was published by a major house once, a short piece.  She's good and she excels at fiction and technical writing, but she probably couldn't make living at it.

It's nice our girls are creative Heart

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@LinaL wrote:

@CrazyDaisy

"...An education does not have to be in a classroom, nor are you a better person because you have a degree."  (my bold)

I find this to be a big problem in this country. Most people don't berate those with a lesser degree. But, so many without a higher education are so defensive and feel the need to lash out at those with one. It's not about intelligence. It's about education.

@LinaL

ITA with you.

With a combo of wages and scholarships (which I haven't seen a mention of here) paid my own way for 3 degrees and a post doc. NO debt. I'm so glad I did as it put me in the position to do what I wanted to with my life.

I certainly believe everyone should follow their own life plan and more power to them! ((((((((( But the 'you think you've so special with a degree, I do just fine without one, I got a better deal, you wasted your time, I paid taxes for your degree, people with degrees are snotty elitists, )))))))) - is getting old, and it almost always comes up.

Though I am child free, I vote FOR every school tax increase, building fund, and teacher's raises.  Appreciation for my eduacational experience, and my career allow me to do this, and I do not begrudge paying these  taxes for other's children.

This is confusing. You say you paid your own way for 3 degrees then in the next paragraph that you have done well with out any degree.

@151949

Within parentheses are comments one often sees here.  For some reason "feelings" between those who have degrees and those who do not.  My comments about my education are factual.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Well now, how about that?  Only three worrisome trends in education.  I, for one, am just so relieved.  Cause, ya know, that whole troublesome level field for K-12 was really beginning to give me pause.  Yes, snark intentional. 

Seriously, I am much more concerned about opportunities (or lack thereof) for our youngest students.  I'll stop there before getting on a rant about leadership in education and having tthe thread pulled. 

Well, not quite... there is untapped talent out there capable of making great discoveries and differences in our world.  If denied access to education be it lower or higher we all   lose.  

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom  Sorry I meant to get back to you.  LOL

I'm glad your daughter is able to use her talent in art on the side. 

You made a good point about getting a job that doesn't match the degree.  It's a good idea to try to double major or at least earn a minor in subject that can boost one's chances to find a job that will sustain a person financially.

Whether a degree leads to a job in that field can be a roll of the dice but the education received is still priceless.

I'm glad some students are able to be gainfully employed outside of their chosen fields, but realistically one does not become employed in a field - oh like science - without the right education.

Good luck to your daughter.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom  Sorry I meant to get back to you.  LOL

I'm glad your daughter is able to use her talent in art on the side. 

You made a good point about getting a job that doesn't match the degree.  It's a good idea to try to double major or at least earn a minor in subject that can boost one's chances to find a job that will sustain a person financially.

Whether a degree leads to a job in that field can be a roll of the dice but the education received is still priceless.

I'm glad some students are able to be gainfully employed outside of their chosen fields, but realistically one does not become employed in a field - oh like science - without the right education.

Good luck to your daughter.Smiley Happy

@Cakers3 thank you and you made some good points a double major or even taking classes that are in a different field can open to different job oppurtunites. My DD ended up in IT Security for a Bank handling wire fraud.And she has worked her way up.  Her working with computers and money at my brothers family business actually gave her the expereince growing up. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

Well now, how about that?  Only three worrisome trends in education.  I, for one, am just so relieved.  Cause, ya know, that whole troublesome level field for K-12 was really beginning to give me pause.  Yes, snark intentional. 

Seriously, I am much more concerned about opportunities (or lack thereof) for our youngest students.  I'll stop there before getting on a rant about leadership in education and having tthe thread pulled. 

Well, not quite... there is untapped talent out there capable of making great discoveries and differences in our world.  If denied access to education be it lower or higher we all   lose.  

I'm also concerned about k-12 education.  I know we keep hearing that we need to spend more, but according to the Washington Post, we spend more per student in the DC public schools than is spent per student at Sidwell Friends.  The resuts - or lack of them - clearly indicate that spending money without accountability is a problem.

And yes I know I will now be told that it is all the parents' fault.  But then, if that's true, how will spending even more help?