Honored Contributor

Re: Threat To SF Police and Everyday People

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi @chickenbutt

Was the rain welcome for you?  We're happy we're getting the rain.  It wasn't as heavy as predicted but they say it's going to keep raining until tomorrow morning so we will see.

@GingerPeach

How's it going for you?  Still raining?

Selfish me sez - it's kind of a pain because I need to dry off the dog baby every time he comes in from outside and my hands are generally in a fair amount of pain so it is an inconvenience.

Normal reality-based me sez - I'm always glad to see the rain because it is desparately needed for all the obvious reasons.

Practical me sez - I'm sure glad we had that new roof put on last fall!!   

Smiley Very Happy

So, yeah.  hehe

Hope this finds you doing well and having a wonderful day, Ms Noel!!

Hi @Noel7 and @chickenbutt

Waking up to the freshness after (well, in-between) rain is my definition of a perfect scent.

It's not raining here right now.   More expected, of course.  Noel, did you notice channel 7 upgraded it from a 2 to a 3?

I'm about an hour plus east of SF.  

Chickenbutt, you then have to be in the Tahoe region, or at least in that general area.   So pretty.  It's been too long since I've been there.  

I just checked the canal that runs along one side of the street I live on and so far, the level is nowhere near it was about ten years ago when we had some other heavy rainstorms.  It was rushing so much back then that someone even got caught in it and died. (Not a neighbor.  I didn't see it, just heard about it.)

Not to bring down the mood, but I would welcome a little dog to dry off today despite pain in my own hands.  Give yours extra hugs today, Chickenbutt.  Mine passed away a few nights ago and I'm doing fine, but anyone who's lost a dear heart companion knows that you expect to see them around every corner.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Waking up to the freshness after (well, in-between) rain is my definition of a perfect scent.

It's not raining here right now.   More expected, of course.  Noel, did you notice channel 7 upgraded it from a 2 to a 3?

Chickenbutt, you then have to be in the Tahoe region, or at least in that general area.   So pretty.  It's been too long since I've been there.  

I just checked the canal that runs along one side of the street I live on and so far, the level is nowhere near it was about ten years ago when we had some other heavy rainstorms.  It was rushing so much back then that someone even got caught in it and died. (Not a neighbor.  I didn't see it, just heard about it.)

Not to bring down the mood, but I would welcome a little dog to dry off today despite pain in my own hands.  Give yours extra hugs today, Chickenbutt.  Mine passed away a few nights ago and I'm doing fine, but anyone who's lost a dear heart companion knows that you expect to see them around every corner.  

Oh dear!  Smiley Sad   I'm so sorry for your loss.   I understand it so much.  I hope, if/when the time comes, you find another baby to love.   My heart, and my face, is crying for you right now.

Animals are just so perfect and wonderful.    I'm sure this time it is the last time for me, though.    I don't know how I'm going to be able to take another loss.    I do know that I cannot set myself up to go through it another time, though.   That might sound awful, but it's true.

The bird is only 20 so he may outlive me.   Rupert is going to be 8 in July and is having some struggles.   But he's just the best boy!  He's huge so I can't take care of him as much as I wish I could.  I cannot bathe him or anything so I have to depend on the husband to take him to the groomer - whenever he decidees he wants to, which is not often enough for me, but I digress.   

{{{Homegirl}}}  Heart

Honored Contributor

Hi @chickenbutt

Don't cry.  But then again, who am I to tell you how to feel?  I am coping better than I expected.  

A friend years ago said to me that as she aged, she realized she could only take care of dogs she could actually pick up.   I remembered that and ever after only adopted small ones that I could bathe in the kitchen sink (only one exception but that was before RA set in).

I had not planned to adopt another one, mostly due to RA and geting older.  Especially knowing that as the dog ages, the dog will need more care than I could easily provide.  The last thing I want to do is not be a good caretaker.  But never say never, I guess.

Hugs to you and all your household members.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Thank!  Smiley Happy   Interesting about the size thing.   It did occur to me, of course well after we had gotten Ru and he grew up to be a 100# dude, that people in their 60s probably shouldn't have a large dog unless they are in excellent shape.

I have so many old 'war injuries' that I'm falling apart a bit and my husband is having back problems now.

But, anyway, it brought to mind the thought that  maybe I should have become a 'small dog person'.  When Ru was little I was (barely!) able to bathe him in the sink.  No prob picking him up except that over those months it finished off my bad knee, but he barely fit in the sink. hehe - it was funny, though!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm glad I could help remind you of those puppy days, @chickenbutt

I had my girl for 8 of her 16 years.   Don't ever let anyone tell you bonding with an older dog is not possible.  (I'm sure you know that already.)

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Hi @chickenbutt

Was the rain welcome for you?  We're happy we're getting the rain.  It wasn't as heavy as predicted but they say it's going to keep raining until tomorrow morning so we will see.

@GingerPeach

How's it going for you?  Still raining?

Selfish me sez - it's kind of a pain because I need to dry off the dog baby every time he comes in from outside and my hands are generally in a fair amount of pain so it is an inconvenience.

Normal reality-based me sez - I'm always glad to see the rain because it is desparately needed for all the obvious reasons.

Practical me sez - I'm sure glad we had that new roof put on last fall!!   

Smiley Very Happy

So, yeah.  hehe

Hope this finds you doing well and having a wonderful day, Ms Noel!!

Oh no @GingerPeach  I am so very sorry.  Pet companions are family and their loss is devastating.

@chickenbuttand @GingerPeach

I lost a best friend the other day.  We worked together long ago and stayed close friends over the decades.  He was older than I, like my big brother.  Our families were like one and he became my daughter's godfather.  I am heartbroken.  We raised our kids together, I love his daughter as my own and I know the feeling is mutual, that is a comfort.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad we're here to just "be here."  

@Noel7

@chickenbutt

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm glad I could help remind you of those puppy days, @chickenbutt

I had my girl for 8 of her 16 years.   Don't ever let anyone tell you bonding with an older dog is not possible.  (I'm sure you know that already.)

I believe it!  Smiley Happy

When we got Ru, he was just a little guy and I was still in my 50s so it never occurred to me that when he got bigger, and I got older (gack!), I'd have some new problems.

I'm glad you had 8 wonderful years with her.  I hope you have lots of pics and I hope that the passage of time will bring peace and comfort to replace the pain!!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I'm glad we're here to just "be here."  

@Noel7

@chickenbutt

You both fill my heart.  Heart Heart

That really says a lot and if you know me at all you know that I only say things that I mean!   PTSD and depression have been dragging me down a lot lately and my heart isn't full very often.

It means more than either than you can know!

Honored Contributor

I would love to have a dog again, but it wouldn't be feasible.  We love the kitties and, if necessary, they can fend for themselves for awhile.

@chickenbutt& @GingerPeach