Honored Contributor

Re: Thousands of pounds of meat & poultry salads recalled due to contamination with deadly E. co

These days, what seems “healthy” to one person might not seem that way to another person. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Thousands of pounds of meat & poultry salads recalled due to contamination with deadly E. co

[ Edited ]

I use our local store "house brand" but not with meat added, and our local store brand has a good safety record.....but you never know... Thanks for posting...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Mindy D I agree with what you're saying however...

we're talking fresh salads. They're not going to last that long in your fridge without going brown and liquidy. Now, if this was meat in the freezer, meals that you buy and cook and then freeze...absolutely as they would, 3 weeks plus later, still be in your freezer. Salads? I don't think so. But...you never know. 

I see that 2 of them are brands carried by Aldi so I'm grateful to you for posting this info; I at least know to avoid that brand going forward.

Just my opinion, but I don’t think you need to avoid that brand in the future. The reason I say this is that just about every brand that packages salads has been involved in recalls due to contamination. To stay safe, always try to be on the look out for any recalls; especially of all packaged salads. Cattle graze, they ‘go’ and then water washes the bacteria from this onto the fields. Even with judicious cleaning of the leafy greens, including three baths in weak water and chlorine bleach solution, the bacteria can remain behind. All mammals contain E. coli bacteria in their intestines. Some of these E. coli bacteria strains are pathogenic, as is O157. O157 produces a toxin that is dangerous. Not all E. coli produce toxins or are pathogenic. We humans walk around with thousands of nonpathogenic E. coli strains in us everyday. 

Honored Contributor

Hello Spurt. The record of the store is not very important when it comes to these recalls due to contamination. The contamination usually occurs before the products ever get to the store. In this case, the meats in the products were tested as well as the lettuce. Only the lettuce contained the E. coli bacteria. Try to stay watchful of product recalls, even for products you buy at your reliable store. 

Honored Contributor

E2A45470-0787-4DD7-A956-18624385A9F6.png6A4C6DCA-4C30-4743-BF19-FA827C7D6A02.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I expect we're going to be seeing a lot more of this. The World Health Organization (WHO) and others have now linked global climate change to more outbreaks. Higher temperatures are more hospitable to bacteria like salmonella, and floods and droughts cause additional issues with food storage and safety.

I read an article about it on the CBC news site. I won't link it here, but it was called "Why climate change appears to be increasing the frequency of food-borne illnesses" and was published on November 4th.

The Food Safety News site also has an article. I'll link to that one because I couldn't see any political news links on their site: https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2019/04/who-says-climate-change-could-have-considerable-food-safety-i...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

Hello Spurt. The record of the store is not very important when it comes to these recalls due to contamination. The contamination usually occurs before the products ever get to the store. In this case, the meats in the products were tested as well as the lettuce. Only the lettuce contained the E. coli bacteria. Try to stay watchful of product recalls, even for products you buy at your reliable store. 

@Mindy D 

Sorry for the confusion I am not talking about the store itself, but the brand the store sells under its "house name" in which they use local area growers and producers, and supposedly STRICT quality control, but as you said that doesnt guarantee anything...And I always try to keep up with the recalls...you have to in today's world.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I never have bought any salads like that. I make my own. I don't buy bagged lettuce. I buy organic if it's available. We like different butter lettuce.

There are way too many recalls going on now after all the flooding every where this year.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I expect we're going to be seeing a lot more of this. The World Health Organization (WHO) and others have now linked global climate change to more outbreaks. Higher temperatures are more hospitable to bacteria like salmonella, and floods and droughts cause additional issues with food storage and safety.

eColi is linked to the animals.

Feedlot water sources affecting the nearby produce fields,

as well as the actual meat product. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

eColi is linked to the animals.

Feedlot water sources affecting the nearby produce fields,

as well as the actual meat product. 

Higher temperatures can facilitate the growth of most microbes. What the WHO means is that as the climate heats up and the weather changes we can expect to see more issues involving microbial contamination in our food supply.