Super Contributor

Thoughts on wireless collars

This is my first time posting in the pets forum. I didn't even know they had one. Anyway, I am looking to adopt a dog from an animal shelter. My boys have been asking for some time for one. I have three kids, boys ages 10 and 13 and a daughter who will be two on the 8th. We currently have a cat, Bella, and two turtles, Si and Shadow. I have put off getting a dog because I worry about it getting hit in the roadSmiley Sad Our neighbors have cows across the road and I worry the dog may try to check them out. Plus, I am looking to go back to work in the next couple of years and don't want to leave dog in the house all day. Getting to my title, has anyone had success with the wireless collars? Do they hurt the dog? Also, has any of you had success with dogs being both inside and out? Please be kind. I am trying to get as much info as I can before I check out the shelters because I am certain that I will see one and fall in love.

Contributor

Re: Thoughts on wireless collars

Interesting. €£
Regular Contributor

My sisters dogs have the invisible fence. Both dogs take the shock -- go out of the yard and run right into the street -- all the time. It's a wonder they haven't both been killed.

For that reason, (and for other reasons) -- I'd suggest that you wait until your yard is fenced to get a dog. You need to feel secure that your beloved pet is safe while you are at work.

BTW, you have my heartfelt admiration for wanting to adopt a shelter pet. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Hello. This subject comes up from time to time. If you search in this forum, you will probably find previous discussions. I have used Invisible Fence successfully for eight years. My comments will be brief. Not all wireless fences are created equal. Invisible Fence is top of the line and effective. If you are not prepared to properly train your pet, don't buy the system. It will not work. I spent a month with my four month old Lab doing boundary training. She knows exactly where she can go and where she can't and has free run of our two acres. She has never left the boundaries in eight years. I don't leave my pet unattended with Invisible Fence. Listen to comments from those who own these devices, not those who have 'heard' about them. Our development does not allow fences so this was a wonderful solution for us. Yes, I have tried the shock. You are able to adjust the setting. In my case, while our development was in early stages, there is no doubt in my mind that this device protected my pet from straying onto the road with heavy construction traffic. Many people in our development have them. For me, a wonderful asset. Good luck with your choice. LM

Super Contributor

I am not a fan of the invisible fences as many breeds of dogs are not fazed by the shock. Some are tough and would not be stopped. The thick haired double coated breeds like akitas, Siberian huskies, malamutes, guard dogs breeds and many labs just plow their way through the fence but once outside the fence do not wish to come back through the zapper. Their reward is the freedom they get once through the zapper.

With a small child around a crate could be a safe haven from both the child and the cats. We have always used the crate and as they become older and trustworthy you can leave the door open. It is also good when your children have their friends over and the dog may be overwhelmed by the activity and noise of several children in the house. It is also good for when repairman come to the house and sometimes want a dog crated before they would do any work.

Honored Contributor

We tried the wireless collar and it very effectively border trained our dog so she no longer needed the collar. IMO - that was the best outcome . The collar will only work for you if you either take the time to train the dog or pay a professional trainer to do it. It takes a lot of work to install it if you do it yourself - you have to crawl all the way around your yard burying the wire - and a lot of time to train the dog.
Honored Contributor

DH & I strongly support the use of an electronic collar for training only - definitely not for abuse or teasing of any kind. I was in favor of an Invisible Fence, but DH didn't want the expense and thought a collar with a handheld transmitter would suffice. He was right. When used correctly, an e-collar is an effective training tool, not torturous abuse. We have a Golden Retriever who wants to make friends with anyone and everyone. At his prior home, during a family get-together, some runners passed by and he took off after them wanting to make friends. Everyone at the party took off after him, some on foot and some in vehicles. It wasn't until they got blocks and blocks away from home that they finally did. When we adopted him, the first thing we did was to go to obedience classes, but he had a couple of bad habits we just couldn't break through normal correction, namely counter surfing and going into the laundry room to eat the cats' food. We tried the firm "NO". We tried shaking a pop can with coins in it. We tried staging a bunch of empty cans to fall and startle him. Lastly, we tried setting mousetraps, which he decided made better toys to bat across the floor. As a very last resort, we bought the electronic collar. Our dog is so quiet and sneaky, I sometimes would refer to him as The Artful Dodger. Once we had the collar, I watched and waited for him to misbehave. In the midst of him lifting his body up to the kitchen counter I gave him a zap and that was the last time he ever tried it. He's tall so he often walks along the counter and sniffs, but for that I tell him to "leave it" and he does. As for the cat food, same thing. He used to sneak in there and eat the food. One zap as he crossed into the laundry room and he retreated. Now we can leave the door wide open and he doesn't cross the threshold. When outside, we boundary trained our boy with verbal commands at first, but needed enforcement. Again, a couple of reminders and the collar did its job. We live on a corner and honestly, using the e-collar a couple of times has worked to keep our dog on our property. I'd rather use that and him know than to have him run out into the street and risk getting hit by a car.

Esteemed Contributor

Corporal punishment does not work with children or animals. If positive training techniques can not be trusted 100% then then other methods are necessary to keep your pet safe.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Invisible fences may keep your dog in, but they will not keep any other critter out. I would not use them. It's a real fence or no dog for me. I also would never leave my dogs out all day when I am not home. Period. And when I am home I still keep a very good eye on them when they are outside.

Trusted Contributor

I had my little Savannah for 14.5 years.........She had INVISIBLE fencing from the time that she was a puppy......rescued her from the cudzu at 6-8 weeks, and she only ever went outside of the fence once.....thinking we were going to the boat without her, and I went over the line, removed her collar, and she came back into bounds, and never again went out again.....Maybe I just had a well trained baby.......I must say...that in addition to the invisible fence, I also had an electronic doggie door, that was first in my my Florida room, and then when I moved, cut into the siding of my house, and she had the freedom to go out every day, when she wanted to.......up to and until the day she left me........as she took herself away from me.....on the day I lost her, and I knew it was time.........and she did well with the invisible fence, and knew, with training and ques, not to go above and beyond the invisible fence.....I was on a battery plan, and I knew when the battery was going low, and would change it....and never had any problems.......The great thing is that my mom had been using it way before me with her 2 dogs, with no problems, and she would baby sit Savannah when I needed to go out of town, or travel........so I always knew she was safe.......{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I understand that other animals could cross the boundry......but I have lived far out, with not really any threat during her 14.5 years.......Now she was spayed.........after her 1st blossom, so that was never a problem.........My INVISIBLE fence has a lifetime warranty, and was struck once by lightning, and the mother board was replaced for free, and I maintain my INVISIBLE fence, as Savannah may be gone, but I am looking for the day I get a new baby in my life.........{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I also had the capability of plug in units to keep her safe, and not stressed, when I had a party at my house, so she never had to stress her with many people in the house.......so guest and Savannah were free from fear........{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I understand that some dogs will test it, and see where they can go (Savannah did not), and you can up the wide and width band, and I always used the flags to teach her where she could go........and her last place is on the 5 acres where she lived, and just a bit smaller in other places in her life.......I have never regretted my doggie door, or INVISIBLE fence...........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......