Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on outcome of derby?

(thread title only)

@willomenia 

My thoughts are that none of the horses were injured, or worse.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

This DQ was perfectly valid and is part of the game. I've been on both the winning and losing ends of these things. In this case I wasn't going to win either way since I didn't use Country House in my bets. I did use Maximum Security.

Coming off the turn the jockey tried to move his horse out a bit partly to slow down what was coming and herding like that happens all the time in racing. Slight herding usually gets a pass but this was more than that. He probably wanted to make sure he didn't want to get stuck way in on the rail during the stretch because that can be the worst place to be on a sloppy track.

Code of Honor really got it when he was on the rail and Maximum over corrected on the way back. I feel bad for the connections of both horse. Maximum won and that stinks. The people involved with Country House don't really want to win that way. And it's unfortunate because Country House ran a great race and it goes unrecognized now.

Trusted Contributor

Oh and as to the idea of lanes there really aren't any in what people would think of. But the point is to stay straight and if you are going to move you do it when you're clear.

In this case Maximum was in about the 2 path, he moved over to about the 4 path and then moved way back to the rail.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The jockeys showed great skill in preventing a terrible collision of the horses and their riders.It was mentioned that minor “interference” has happened before in other races but a horse has ever been disqualified for it. A lot of money was lost. A lot of money was won!

Respected Contributor

It is like all sporting events rules must be followed. Some are always not going to like the call. Just the way New Orleans football fans are still crying because they lost in the playoffs. Time to move on.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

The jockeys showed great skill in preventing a terrible collision of the horses and their riders.It was mentioned that minor “interference” has happened before in other races but a horse has ever been disqualified for it. A lot of money was lost. A lot of money was won!

i will say that i have been reading some good arguments off of these forums from informed experts from BOTH sides. i actually won more money with the change of winner, but not sure that the right call was made.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Milkshake Duck 

(definition)

”OMG, you’re the 2019 Kentucky Derby Winner! 

Sorry to inform you..but you’re a cheater.”

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

i will say that i have been reading some good arguments off of these forums from informed experts from BOTH sides. i actually won more money with the change of winner, but not sure that the right call was made.

@sunshine45 I can promise you that no matter what side you come down on you'll find people that have been watching for years who will agree with you. If there's one sure thing in this game it's disagreements about a DQ. I can go to a horse racing forum right now and they'll be a thread about some random race and a DQ that happened or didn't happen. And we get really good at it when we turn into armchair jockeys! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm willing to bet that if Maximum Security were a Todd Pletcher or Bob Baffert horse that the contact would have been ignored.

I worked in the thoroughbred business for many years and have never seen so much talk about "lanes" as I have in the last 24 hours.  It's laughable.  People have been talking like a horse race is set up like a track and field event.  They obviously have never spoken to anyone in the business (in the USA) who know how much contact there is between horses on the track during a race.  But yesterday, the "rule" about "lanes" is front and center.  SMH.

I didn't watch the Derby as I don't watch horse racing anymore, I find it awful as I have seen too much of racing's dark underbelly.  All the "pretty" surrounding the Derby can't cover it up.

Esteemed Contributor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_1484w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2019/05/05/Sports/Images/Kentucky_Derby_Horse_Racing_91030-073e6-9149.jpg?t=20170517

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.