Respected Contributor

Re: Thoughts on outcome of derby?

I recall a Female Derby Official saying" Let`s Have a Clean Fair Race." She was speaking to the Jockeys lined up. As in any Sport there are those that do things that are not legitimate. It may be a big problem issue in this competitive  business. I would bet there are drug tests on the Horses just like Players. The betting also attracts deceit. Anytime there is big money involved things happen.

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf 

I also  watched as she was speaking to the jockeys,

also heard her say:

"Lets have a clean race"

I'm thankful that with all that mud that no one was injured including the horses.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

The jockey on Maximum Security had his horse tight on the inside rail, saw horses gaining on the outside and slid his horse over to block them. He ended up about four lanes from where he'd started. Another horse then on the inside rail moved forward and he moved back over to the rail to block that horse. His excuse that the crowd noise spooked the horse is iffy, at best. The horse got spooked and ran towards the noise? It coincidentally happened just as a horse on the outside was gaining on him? Then the horse once again got spooked and moved back to the inside just as another horse was gaining on him there? Yeah. Sure. The jockey was looking back, saw horses gaining ground and did whatever he could to win. He cheated, got caught, got punished. It's why you have rules. It was very brave of the stewards to enforce the rules, but they did the right thing.

we must have watched two different races, there was no way he crossed 4 lanes
Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Forget that it was a horse race, I find the original comment very interesting. Forget the rules, only who they think is the best should win. I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

never once said forget the rules! stop putting words in my mouth!

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

The jockey on Maximum Security had his horse tight on the inside rail, saw horses gaining on the outside and slid his horse over to block them. He ended up about four lanes from where he'd started. Another horse then on the inside rail moved forward and he moved back over to the rail to block that horse. His excuse that the crowd noise spooked the horse is iffy, at best. The horse got spooked and ran towards the noise? It coincidentally happened just as a horse on the outside was gaining on him? Then the horse once again got spooked and moved back to the inside just as another horse was gaining on him there? Yeah. Sure. The jockey was looking back, saw horses gaining ground and did whatever he could to win. He cheated, got caught, got punished. It's why you have rules. It was very brave of the stewards to enforce the rules, but they did the right thing.

we must have watched two different races, there was no way he crossed 4 lanes

You might want to watch it again. The distance between each post position of a starting gate is reportedly three and a half feet or forty-two inches. Four lanes would then be fourteen feet. If you watch it and truly believe that Maximum security never was fourteen feet from the rail, then fine, but to me he was clearly that far out and maybe farther. That's four lanes.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Now it’s being called a pc move that shouldn’t have been made.

Honored Contributor

I quit watching a few years ago when one horse broke its leg and was put down.  DH turned it on yesterday, but I'm going back to not watching again.  

Honored Contributor

It seems (to me) that it's ethically unfair to the race horses to make them race in a muddy mess.

'I know', it would be financially difficult to postpone a race, I guess.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

First of all, it's a big deal race and there were too many horses in the field.  If you want it to be about the fastest horses, limit the field and don't let the lesser horses clutter up the race.

Second, it's always about the money.  It's racing and gambling holds big sway in a lot of the thinking.

Honored Contributor

p.s.  I do know that if I were a millionaire/billionaire race horse owner, I sure wouldn't want my horse to race in  muddy conditions.

Talk about nerve-wracking...........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).