Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on outcome of derby?

What that jockey did (the one riding Maximum Security) was wrong and could have resulted in multiple horses having to be put down due to leg injuries with each jockey facing a horrible outcome as well. ALL horses who race in the Kentucky Derby/Triple Crown are young; that was NO excuse. He cheated and paid the price. Watch the tape where you see him moving over; it's shocking that the horse's he cut in front of didn't go down.

I applaud the other jockey for raising the complaint. 

Honored Contributor

We watched it, and we thought they made the right decision. DH said he lost interest when Omaha Beach had to withdraw because of the problem with his nose. I don't think we'll have a Triple Crown winner this year. 

Esteemed Contributor

Very unfortunate & disappointing situation!! 

Honored Contributor

Are there actual lanes on the track, or are they virtual, meaning that a rider should be aware of his position relative to the others and not cut in front of anyone?  I know very little about horse racing!

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Are there actual lanes on the track, or are they virtual, meaning that a rider should be aware of his position relative to the others and not cut in front of anyone?  I know very little about horse racing!

@ValuSkr 

The lanes are virtual.

I think that the lane cutting was compleatly accidental, but nonetheless, it did happen, and that couldn't be overlooked, and rules had to be followed.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr  Virtual. However, every jockey knows you don't cut in front or bump another horse when you are in a tight group; it's irresponsible and dangerous/deadly.You hug that fence until the very end unless their is NO other horse around you. This was not the case.

As for the "crowd spooked him"...please. Any horse that has made it the Kentucky Derby has heard crowds yell. They've heard car horns, air horns, bells, loudspeakers, etc. The jockey pulled a ******ty move, he was caught and now he is attempting to save face. The trainer and owner, if they were not in on it, are most likely livid about what he did.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was sad.  The horse that initially won is a young horse.  The rider said that the horse was spooked by the noise from the crowd, etc.  I don't know but I believe that nothing was done intentionally.  The track looked a mess -- very sloppy, and dangerous. I always worry about the safety of the horses especially under these conditions.  I felt very bad for the jockey as he was so happy to have won.  They said this outcome had never before been done and they were all kind of shocked.  I had the original winning horse so I was disappointed by this as well.  Yes, we will wait and see what happens in the next race.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Forget that it was a horse race, I find the original comment very interesting. Forget the rules, only who they think is the best should win. I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Honored Contributor

No idea about the derby, but I only had time to see 2 hats.  They were a disappointment. Hope someone shows pictures of this years hats.

Honored Contributor

The jockey on Maximum Security had his horse tight on the inside rail, saw horses gaining on the outside and slid his horse over to block them. He ended up about four lanes from where he'd started. Another horse then on the inside rail moved forward and he moved back over to the rail to block that horse. His excuse that the crowd noise spooked the horse is iffy, at best. The horse got spooked and ran towards the noise? It coincidentally happened just as a horse on the outside was gaining on him? Then the horse once again got spooked and moved back to the inside just as another horse was gaining on him there? Yeah. Sure. The jockey was looking back, saw horses gaining ground and did whatever he could to win. He cheated, got caught, got punished. It's why you have rules. It was very brave of the stewards to enforce the rules, but they did the right thing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!