Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on outcome of derby?

@stellabystarlight 

The jockey riding the initial winner, Maximum Security stated several times that his horse was young & not used to the roar of the crowds.  The horse was spooked.  He had to keep "reminding" ( I assume by whipping) the horse to stay focused.

Finally, when a mike was thrown up into his face for the 10th time, the jockey said, "no comment."   I suspect MS owner told his jockey to shut the censored.gifup! Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Rules are rules. Can you imagine if every jockey jut broke any rule they wanted to? You let one person break a rule you have to let everyone. A muddy mess for sure.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

@PerkupWishing you a speedy recovery and condolences on the loss of your "betting partner" ~

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

This derby has been a fiasco from beginning to end.

Boy @Kachina624 you got that right, this was the worse. 

Respected Contributor

I think it was the correct call.  Fairness has nothing to do with it.  I held my breath as he moved the horse into the next right lane.  I saw no erratic movement made by the horse.  Just what appeared to me to be a deliberate movement of the horsenby the jockey.   I thought the horse behind was going down which would have caused a domino cascade of horses and jockeys.  Thankfully the rider, who would be called the winner, was able to ride it out safely.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@stellabystarlight 

The jockey riding the initial winner, Maximum Security stated several times that his horse was young & not used to the roar of the crowds.  The horse was spooked.  He had to keep "reminding" ( I assume by whipping) the horse to stay focused.

Finally, when a mike was thrown up into his face for the 10th time, the jockey said, "no comment."   I suspect MS owner told his jockey to shut the censored.gifup! Smiley LOL

When the gal on the horse interviewed Maximum Security's jockey just after the race while they were riding in, he told her his horse spooked abit at that point so he was upfront from the get go that something happened. I dont think he even realized there was a problem at that point, he just answered her question how his ride went and he pointed that out. So I do believed his horse spooked.

eta~ I think they made the right disicion, rules are rules. It was bummer all the way around.  And strange...

Respected Contributor

I don't think it was a deliberate infraction of the rules.  When they came into the final turn the crowd started roaring and it spooked the horse.  That said, the jockey should have control of the horse.  Maximum Security was the best horse in the race but the stewards didn't have much of a choice.  It was obvious he almost caused a catastrophic collision.  I am sad for all.  This was a miserable day and the track was a sloppy mess. 

Honored Contributor

I just cannot watch any type of horse racing.

Too worried about possible injuries/deaths.

Way too nerve-wracking.  Imo.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I just thought of something........It's not the horse's fault.  The jockey 'drives' the horse. 

Too bad, because the horse itself probably deserved to win, but his 'driver' made a 'no-no'.

Oh, well, as long as none of the horses were injured, it's a good race.  It's a good day, thanks to their lucky stars.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I just cannot watch any type of horse racing.

Too worried about possible injuries/deaths.

Way too nerve-wracking.  Imo.

@ROMARY , I can’t watch it live either, especially with today’s muddy mess.  Dh watches, then tells me when it’s over and whether there were any accidents. If all was fine, I watch reruns.