Trusted Contributor

Thoughts on outcome of derby?

Thought it was unfair. Horse that initially won, clearly the best horse. We will see in preakness how this newfound winner does.
Honored Contributor

Re: Thoughts on outcome of derby?

Better horse or not.  It broke the rules and loss due to a technicality.  I don't see anything unfair about that.

Respected Contributor

I thought it was a fair call.  Initial winner, Maximum Security, crossed the line and impeded 2 other horses.  It could have been far worse if it's leg hit the horse behind in the lane.  Country House deserved the win.  Rules are rules and should be maintained even at the Kentucky Derby!

Esteemed Contributor

@willomenia  It's like track. If you go out of your lane and nearly trip up a runner, you are going to be called out. I was rooting for him too, but rules are rules. Just a shame. Did you see that final video? It could have been a disaster.

Honored Contributor

Just glad none of those horses were injured running in all that mud, and the jockeys too, of course.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

This derby has been a fiasco from beginning to end.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

i thought just cars had to be careful when they changed lanes.....and we all know how often they use their blinkers!!  lol!!!  time for my bruins....hope they stay in their lanes!

Respected Contributor

Well, I believe the weather contributed to the end result as well.  Track went from "fast" to "sloppy" as a result of all the mud!

Honored Contributor

@willomenia  It was not "unfair".  Rules were broken. End of story.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now how do we ever really know if the best horse won?  And what happens to the possiblty of a triple crown win this year?  If a disquallified horse happens to win the next two races, what happens to the Triple Crown, and by the same scenario, what if the horse that won by default wins the next two races, can it really be a Triple Crown winner ?   Can we really know whether that horse could have won the race if there had been no incident.    So many questions.  

I know that rules are meant to be followed, even when it's very hard.   This one was especially harsh   But just for fun I've always bet $10.00 on the horse with the greatest odds.  This year I'm recovering from a stroke and unable to get out and place a bet. It's just a silly thing I did with a friend, never expecting to win.  She passed this year, but wish I could have bet on today's winner.