Respected Contributor

Re: Thoughts Regarding Name Change for Diet Sodas

to me it makes sense to drop the word diet  it does seem outdated

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  I'm guessing it's because you get what you need to "party";  beer, booze, pop and snacks. 
😋

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Leeny 

My thoughts!  Can't remember the last pop drink I downed. I prefer straight H2o over any container of pop. If making up for my body's depletion of lactic acid, I go for an electrolyte replacement drink. 

I read the labels on those drinks and buy the ones that contain the most minerals I think my body needs.

Seems even the words in Big Name Dictionaries are also now being given different "definitions". Why?  Might throw a few millennials in there for the reason, but I see it more as a cultural and political change.

As for "diet/low sugar/low fat" labels? I look for milligram numbers, rather than a catch phrase.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Hmmmm.......All that 'pops' into my mind is the cost of re-labeling.

My favorite's price has increased 25 cents, on sale.  

Well that's all I can think of right now.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

The Millennials better worry more about what the 'No Sugar' additive is than in the word "diet'.  Usually Aspartame is the culprit.  Both my MIL and uncle have severe macular degeneration....I know it is from years of consuming their diet soda.  In fact, 'diet soda' causes one to crave more carbs.  

Ever wonder why there is more MS diagnosis lately...guess why?

Honored Contributor

They can change the name but it doesnt change what it IS---SMH! What's in a lot of these sodas just creates an urge for more sugar.....From an article Clevelandclinic.org....

Does diet drinks make you crave sugar?
“Not only does the artificial sweetener [in diet soda] make you crave additional sugar, it also causes your body to produce insulin, encouraging you to eat carbs and crave that something sweet,” she explained. Ironically, this often results in eating more, not less.
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't drink diet soda. I've tried a few times but never liked the taste. My doctor told me that if you want a soda, to drink a regular one every now and then as opposed to drinking diet ones everyday because aspartame is worse than sugar. My late mom drank diet Coke for years, and was asked by her doctor to switch to regular soda. She had multiple sclerosis. As far as them changing the name, it's not a big deal to me. 

Honored Contributor

@MarcyG72 wrote:

The Millennials better worry more about what the 'No Sugar' additive is than in the word "diet'.  Usually Aspartame is the culprit.  Both my MIL and uncle have severe macular degeneration....I know it is from years of consuming their diet soda.  In fact, 'diet soda' causes one to crave more carbs.  

Ever wonder why there is more MS diagnosis lately...guess why?

@MarcyG72   No, I never do.

Super Contributor

I tried for 1 year to drink less diet pop.  I gained 12 pounds.  So I don't think it causes you to want more sugar.