Valued Contributor

Re: Those who were to get cataract surgery, how did it go?

There are a few threads re: cataract surgery and this is what I posted a few months ago.

I had both eyes done. One in mid Jan and the other last Wed. ( a month apart ) I have always been near sighted and never needed glasses to read but now I need readers for close work and can see far without glasses. After my eyes heal, I still will get an RX for glasses as I have an astigmatism ( corneal curvature ) and that will be built into my new RX. The top part will be clear and the bottom part no line bifocal. If you don't have an astigmatism, you can buy readers at any drugstore. I even got a nice pair of sunglasses that are clear at the top and bifocal on the bottom.

Let me assure you that the operation involves zero pain. They give you numbing drops and also an IV that has a sedative ( Versed ) so you can follow directions but don't really remember anything. I didn't have a patch afterward but you do have to put drops in your eye 8 x a da at first. They give you a chart so you know when to put in the drops. Your vision may be blurry for a day or 2 but you will be surprised how clear everything will seem after that. I am 74 and never knew I had so many age spots or wrinkles. LOL

I actually like wearing glasses as they cover up the bags under my eyes.

Valued Contributor

Go to the Health and Fitness forum and type in cataract surgery and you will see many responses!

Honored Contributor

On 5/15/2014 JaneMarple said:
On 5/15/2014 Shorty2U said:

Thanks again for the replies. I am nervous too Lindsays Grandma. Sounds like we are in the same boat with all our issues. I will let you know once I get the 1st eye done (last Tues in May).

Still- MIL didn't need the calming drugs (and shes a nervous person). Well..they told me Im getting them. Maybe I need them? lol. I tend to be anxious.

Mistri I know someone who had issues afterwards. (She got a detached retina). I hope that doesn't happen to me!

To the others about glasses- they said I will need glasses yet (but I don't mind.lol) I remember when my dad had it done he didn't need his glasses anymore.

Thanks again everyone and good luck with your surgeries!!!!!

My sister had her second eye done yesterday and her first eye is progressing nicely. The first eye which happened to be her worst eye is now 20/30 and will be at 20/20, her entire experience was wonderful.

I'm happy to hear that, Jane. My husband had excellent results with both of his cataract surgeries.

I think I've mentioned his other more recent eye surgeries here, and those were retinal procedures, that are more risky, and complicated. Fortunately, the results with those procedures are very good at this time, and he's getting his full vision back.

Honored Contributor

Shorty- the choice of lenses is not necessarily because one is "better" than the other. Different eyes have different needs. After having cataracts removed from both of my eyes, I had muscle surgery done on my right eye, and after over 60 years of thick trifocals, I now wear the weakest drugstore glasses I can find, usually 1.0. For me, one of the major miracles of my life. I wish all of you who have had, or whoare awaiting surgery, exactly the same experience I had.
Honored Contributor

I wanted to add another thought- some doctors (mine!) now believe that if you have been diagnosed with cataracts, the YOUNGER you are when you have them removed, the better. If your eye doctor insists that you wait, you may want to get a second opinion or at the very least, ask WHY she or he thinks you're better off to wait.
Respected Contributor

I am so thankful to be able to see clearly again. No problems whatsoever. praise God.

Occasional Contributor

In 2007, I had cataract surgery on both of my eyes, about six weeks apart. It was such an easy surgery. They hook you up to an IV for numbing/calming, but you are awake throughout the very short procedure. I remember even talking to my eye surgeon during the surgery! When you are dressed and ready to leave, you are sent home with black roll up type sunglasses to wear, as your eyes are very sensitive to outdoor light for a few days. You will continue with eye drops post surgery, however your eyesight will be restored immediately! My far away vision is excellent, however, I do need reading glasses to be able to see/read things up close, but you will be able to see and read right away! It is truly an amazing medical miracle to be able to get a second chance to see again!

I remember back in the late 1960's when my grandmother had cataract surgery. She was in the hospital for 7 days, lying flat on her back with sand bags beside her head so she would not move her head.

In the late 1980's, my Mother had both of her eyes done. She went in the hospital one day, had the procedure the next and went home the following day. She had to wear an eye patch on her eyes when she slept and be very careful not to rub her eyes post surgery.

I'm sure that today's cataract surgery is even better from when I had it during the summer of 2007. It is truly remarkable to be able to get your eyesight back and I for one will never ever forget the difference of not seeing, to being able to do things again and, always thank God for the medical advancement in cataract surgery! Do not be afraid to have this done, as you will feel like a whole new person!

Best of luck to you!