Honored Contributor

Re: Those who have Tracfone check your account- make sure you're not on auto refill

@sgraham30 wrote:

If you have Tracfone, check your account to make sure that you haven't been enrolled in their auto refill program. I had a pending charge for auto refill pop up in my checking account today when I went to balance my checkbook. I've never signed up for auto refill, nor did I authorize it, preferring to buy the refill card when I can get it at a discount. 

@sgraham30 

I appreciate your warning...thanks for posting the info!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Re: Those who have Tracfone check your account- make sure you're not on auto refill

@Spurt, you're very welcome!Smiley Happy 

Valued Contributor

Reading this it reminded me of an incident with a credit card,had to receive a new card due to a charge I never made.All was ok with this new card until I saw a charge from 

L-F-L--k  (company to watch for fraud)they only had my old number on account I never updated it with new number as I was going drop it when membership was up.

Was really mad HOW were they able to charge my credit card with the new number that I NEVER UPDATED TO THEM.

After that experience I am very careful  in giving some company the right to automatically renew membership or even give permission.

Honored Contributor

I don't have this tracfone thing but the very worst part of this is that you did NOT sign up for an auto-pay deal, yet they put you on one.

Also, that you cannot delete your pmt methods from it is very, VERY wrong and makes me even more glad I never went the tracfone route.

I hope you can get that info removed, perhaps as others have suggested, by contacting them.

I'm another one who doesn't do auto-pay out of my checking account, so I would be absolutely incensed.   I did have to do it with our new mortgage, since we recently re-financed, which I was not happy about.  They told me that the only way to get the rate we got was to have it set up that way but, several months down the road, I can change that - at a one-time cost of $50.  IMO, that's not cool at all.   I went ahead with it but am assessing how I might handle it in the future.  I guess the one plus is that the new mortgage is held through the same bank as one of my checking accounts, so it's not like a third party having that access.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sgraham30 wrote:

@geezerette, no, the credit card they have on file for me expired 10 years ago so they defaulted to my debit card. I can't remove the cards, I just went to the site & tried to remove the cards, I was unable to. 

@sgraham30 - I don't understand this.  I'm looking at my Tracfone account right now.  Under the "Payment Method" tab, it shows my CC info.

At first, just a bar with the card and at the right a green "pencil" icon.  When I click on that to open it (to display the full information), I have the option to update and save my information or to delete the card entirely.

I also don't understand them switching you to auto-refill without your consent.  We've been Tracfone customers for over 20 years now and have never had that issue.  I just add additional texts or data as I want.

Is it possible that you clicked on the wrong section to add airtime?  I only ask because I noticed that, when I first went into the site last week, it seemed to bring that up as the first option and I realized and backed out of it.

I managed to get into the correct section on the second attempt.  Sometimes it can be confusing.  I hope you've gotten it sorted out.

(ETA:  For anyone not on an auto-refill plan and who doesn't want to be, make sure to click on the first "SHOP" tab, to add extra minutes, etc..  If you click on the "REFILL/ADD" tab, that takes you into the auto-refill plans.  It would be an easy mistake to make.)

Esteemed Contributor

Verizon owns Tracfone and customers may see changes in the way the company is run.

Verizon gives customers a $5-10 a month discount for using autopay. 

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@CelticCrafter, even with the expired expiration date? 

@sgraham30 yes, and it went on for months and months until I decided I no longer wanted or needed the service anymore.

Honored Contributor

I checked on my tracfone  and it showed that i'm" not "enrolled in automatic refill.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

@tucsongal, how did you remove your card? I tried to remove one that they have on file for me that expired TEN years ago, I wasn't able to do it.  

———————

As @Venezia described, you should be able to go into your payment information and delete any cards there. It’s good that you’re disputing the charge with your bank. If you can’t delete your card information online, I would definitely call them directly(document everything you do, who you speak to, etc). 

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@sgraham30 wrote:

@geezerette, no, the credit card they have on file for me expired 10 years ago so they defaulted to my debit card. I can't remove the cards, I just went to the site & tried to remove the cards, I was unable to. 

@sgraham30 - I don't understand this.  I'm looking at my Tracfone account right now.  Under the "Payment Method" tab, it shows my CC info.

At first, just a bar with the card and at the right a green "pencil" icon.  When I click on that to open it (to display the full information), I have the option to update and save my information or to delete the card entirely.

I also don't understand them switching you to auto-refill without your consent.  We've been Tracfone customers for over 20 years now and have never had that issue.  I just add additional texts or data as I want.

Is it possible that you clicked on the wrong section to add airtime?  I only ask because I noticed that, when I first went into the site last week, it seemed to bring that up as the first option and I realized and backed out of it.

I managed to get into the correct section on the second attempt.  Sometimes it can be confusing.  I hope you've gotten it sorted out.

(ETA:  For anyone not on an auto-refill plan and who doesn't want to be, make sure to click on the first "SHOP" tab, to add extra minutes, etc..  If you click on the "REFILL/ADD" tab, that takes you into the auto-refill plans.  It would be an easy mistake to make.)

⬆ This. 

Thank you @Venezia.