Honored Contributor

Re: Those people who want to be in the audiences of TV shows.

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

They're having fun and not hurting anyone.

What about that is something you need to understand?

@QueenDanceALot  Thank you for putting me in my place😘

Esteemed Contributor

Not every TV show is the same, and different types of audience participation are encouraged depending on the kind of show it is.  Standing outside The Today Show is completely different than being in the audience of a judge show.  Or a talk show.  In some cases laughing, etc. is encouraged, but in others production doesn't want any spontaneity at all, and they're very serious about that (even if the show is not serious in nature.)

An extremely high percentage of audience members do not make fools of themselves at all in any way.  Not even close.  Painting all TV audiences (and their reasons for being there) with such a broad brush doesn't make sense.

I work in television and have sat in many audiences and have observed many, many more.  People are generally there to get an inside view of the world of TV, and to have a good time with friends.  Most of the time, it's not wild or crazy at all.  And when the producers want high energy (such as The Today Show), I don't see it as any different than going to a sports event and cheering enthusiastically for a team, maybe hoping to be seen on camera.

Not everyone wants to put on a hockey jersey and get emotional in public and not everyone wants to sit in a TV studio audience and applaud on command.  So they shouldn't.  But there's no need to lump all different types of TV shows together and criticize other people for something they enjoy that really hurts no one.

(And as others have said, it's not about a "prize".  It's about an experience.  Not everything in this world has to be for monetary gain.)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

They're having fun and not hurting anyone.

What about that is something you need to understand?

@QueenDanceALot  Thank you for putting me in my place😘

We can only hope........

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

My family and a friend of mine went to see the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson live once. What a blast. I don't we acted like idiots, but I know I have elsewhere (1964, Hollywood Bowl, Beatles concert).

I was in the audience of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson too, and I remember very specific rules about only reacting when directed to do so, etc.  Many shows still have rules like that.  Some shows are more audience-centered, and others want the focus on the talent.  

And yes!  We all acted a bit crazy when it came to the Beatles.  Beatlemania was alive and well!!  I remember it so fondly.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

We all have fun in our own way but to me that isn’t fun. What makes the world go round. Plus you have to get up early to get a spot in the front. I would rather sleep in.

That's actually not always true.  Different shows, different networks, different locations, etc. all have their own ticketing policies.  And many shows tape late in the day, too.

Honored Contributor

They are fun for many people.  There is also the lure of being chosen for a game show and winning a prize.  There are many shows in Los angeles crowds can participate.  Some shows like game shows need an enthusiastic, lively crowd.  Some people are just fun, they enjoy dressing up for halloween and costume parties, and they cut loose.

in culver city, and burbank  and cbs studios there are many shows you can participate. 

The Ellen show is just fun!!!  They come in and hype you up, interact with you.  You get to meet ellen, and she treats her audience well.  Sometimes she has bbq's out back in the WB studio.  Prizes are great!  I know many people who have gone.  They are backed up though.  You have to get tickets months in advance, especially christmas.

Honored Contributor

My husband has been working in LA for over a year now.

Almost every time I buy a ticket to fly out to LA, I get emails from The Price is Right or Let's Make a Deal asking if I want to either be a contestant or an *On Air* audience member.

It's almost like American Airlines has some sort of partnership with these shows.

The only audience I've been in on the west coast was Hallmark's Home and Family and that was through Universal Studios.

A game show sounds like fun, but they take a long time to tape, it's not just the hour long show you see (w/ commercials).

I'm headed out again in two weeks and already have an email from Wayne Brady's peeps (lol) to get a 'Priority Ticket'.  So you may see me jumping up and down in a bunny suit.Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak

The people that go on Judge Judy were offered to try their case on her show instead of going to small claims court. When u take someone to small claims court, even if u win the case, u may not get ur money. The courts don't go after people to reimburse you. On Judge Judy or other tv judge shows, if u win the case, u get paid. The person(or people) that lose, still get paid. Plus they get a free trip - hotel and plane expenses.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette

Judge Judy is NOT rude. She's interesting and entertaining. That's why her show has been on tv for 22 years. Prior to the show, she was a family court judge in NYC --- that's a very hard job. She's a very fair judge. She also won 3 Emmys and makes $75 million/year. You probably don't get her sense of humor --- I do!!!!!