Honored Contributor

Re: Those little plastic cards we all have. . .

I hope everybody has gone into all of their credit and debit accounts to set up an email (or text if you text, etc) contact for EVERY time your accounts are used online for a transaction.

IMO, this is very important and it is absolutely no inconvenience for me to see these emails (I don't text) and make sure that it is MY transaction and then just delete them.

I feel much better having done this.  Before, I did have a couple of incidences of credit card hacks over the years.  For me it was just the random thing that some thieves do - having numbers run until one comes up legit and they try to use it.    Well, except for one thing that happened right after the one (and only) time I used half.com.   That was suspect to me, as I had JUST used that credit card for a half purchase and then somebody tried to use it.   Needless to say, I never bought anything from half again.   

But it is NOT paranoid and one cannot be too careful.   I don't have any of those special wallets, but then I am not out and about much anymore.  I do, however, have my cards that are in my wallet wrapped in aluminum foil just in case I cross the path of somebody with one of those scanners.   I live near a fairly small city so it's probably not as prevalent as it would be in a large city, but it's still smart to be careful.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't know how much scanning is really going on. The purpose of those RFID cards is that they are supposed to be safer than the ones with the strip on the back.

I think not handing your card over to anyone to run through at a restaurant, etc. and not using them on-line would be plenty safe.  

Respected Contributor

I do have text alerts set up. It's another layer of protection
Honored Contributor

Offline - I am cash & carry.

Online - If the site has a toll free # I pay by personal check.  Otherwise, the site does not get my business.

My cc is for emergency use only.

I have authorized my cc company to red flag by card, meaning I must call them PRIOR to going out of town and/or leaving the country.

I have RFID slips as well as RFID wallets for my drivers license, AAA Plus & AARP cards.  The latter two has strips which has your personal info embedded. 

Driver licenses has your whole life history & then some enbedded on the hologram.

----->CYBER PARANOID<-------

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a cc that showed a $20 charge from Starbucks and I am not a customer so I contacted my bank and they told me that particular charge hits accounts all the time which I thought was odd.  They got me twice $20 in two sucessive months.  What was really annoying is that for such a small amount the bank insisted on closing out that number and issuing me a new card.  I asked the bank what location it occured in and they just said in WA, also odd because that tells me nothing as that is Starbuck's headquarters (Seattle WA).  I don't live there or know anyone who does.  

Respected Contributor

Tignanello is really pushing the RFID lining in their new selection of purses.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was doing billpay one night and had about 5 in a row and the fifth didn't take and said to try later.  Really infuriating because I always do my billpays in the same way every month for years and lo and behold some zealot in the security dept thinks I'm getting hacked.  All he/she had to do is look up and see the same exact activity month after month.  I had to finish up the following morning.  

Getting back to the subject of cc, the DiscoverCard people phoned me a couple times asking if I had made a particular purchase.  The first time I thought okay this is considerate but the second time I thought it was nuts and went into my account to change my alert types.  

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:

I use the RFID wallets and both our banks call if anything questionable is charged and dont let anything go through until they speak with us. One of my banks I have to call them if I go away on a trip or my card wont work out of the area. I use PayPal if paying for anything online. Many of the scammers and those who steal identities and cards are from China, the very same place that practically owns the USA and also where most items we now purchase are made. That should alarm and also infuriate most people!

I ran across a website in China that was selling Alegria shoes very inexpensively so I bought a couple pair and used PayPal to pay for them.  Long story short, I never got the shoes and to this day they're still showing them "pending shipment" 18 months later.  PayPal came through like a champ and got my money back but the website still uses PayPal.  I don't understand why PayPal didn't rid itself of them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

completely agree w the RFID being fear mongering the new cards don't have it.  It's new technology.  google it. Tin foil works cheap if you are worried. 

I dont have it. Someone got my Amex from online and they were relentless in calling me. I answered the phone at 7 am and they told me. Sent me a new card overnight. No inconvenience to me at all, so I am not worried at all!!   

Esteemed Contributor

I have my bank contact me if there are purchases over a certain amount or if things look suspicious.  My husbad has had his account compromised.  A middle eastern group working out of Pennsylvania.

My FIL, had several cards stolen by his now gone Asian care taker.  She had a history of doing such things.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust