Trusted Contributor

Re: Those little plastic cards we all have. . .

I think the RFID protectors, wallets, and purses are nothing more than a way to separate fearful, gullible people from their hard-earned money.

Very few cards are compromised due to RFID technology (I have carried these cards for years with no issues), and most are compromised as a result of people shopping online via onsecure connections or when the our cards are out of our hands (such as when given to a server, cashier, etc.).

Honored Contributor

The reason so much theft is online these days vs in person with RFID cards is that when you use a chipped card in person it is a per-transaction number that is created and sent through the system live. That number will be different for every transaction. But if you just give someone your card # in an online transaction the single transaction number protection isn't there.

It's true that the cards aren't protected *as* you're paying, but contrary to what we are told, I question whether there are very many people going out every day with scanners, standing very close to people (there is only a few feet range when they work) in order to scan their cards in those few seconds. 

The vast majority is through data breaches and online theft. There are also readers still put on gas pumps, and even on outside bank ATMs. Nothing is ever 100% hack-proof. It's the world we live in. The banks know this, which is why they're so proactive.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I think it's rather odd that your bank e-mailed you about this.  I've had this happen to me several times and each and every time, I was contacted via phone by the fraud department of my bank.

I would be suspicious of an e-mail about something like this.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I think it's rather odd that your bank e-mailed you about this.  I've had this happen to me several times and each and every time, I was contacted via phone by the fraud department of my bank.

Same here.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

The scanners can be bought online.

There are people out there using them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was contacted by phone, also.  My bank took care of everything, including overnighting me with a new card.  I didn't have to do a thing.

To scan you, all it has to be is someone standing in line behind you in line or brushing by you, I'd rather not take the chance.  If I can eliminate that possibility, I gladly will.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Yesterday my bank card was compromised. The bank e-mailed me, and someone had made purchases originating from Beijing and a number of places in the states. We got it straightened out, but now I'm going to be extra cautious.

A while back I ordered these little metal cardholders from here. (I'm not sure if they're available any longer, but our local Hallmark has them.) I use them for mostly organizing - shopping membership cards in one, restaurant cards in another, but after yesterday I put my bank card in one.

So which cards do you think are important to protect (all plastic):

Bank cards - obviously

Bank credit cards - same

Gas cards

Department store credit cards

Membership cards - to EVERYTHING! 

What do you use? Do you use an RFID wallet? TIA!

Unless your card has the RFID generating chip, "protecting it" with an RFID wallet, or metal wallet or any other kind of shield is not needed because without the chip, it is not generating the "signal" from the chip that you want protected so no one will "glean" it from the air.... 

Most compromises come from using credit cards on the Internet, or when a bank is hacked and the info is stolen.  And there isn't much you can do to protect your credit cards on the Net other than to make sure you're dealing with a reputable, secure site. But even so, many very secure sites are hacked anyway..... 

My only credit card has an RFID chip now (two years)... but none of my other cards do including my ATM card!  However, I have purchased a quality RFID wallet and every card I own is in the wallet now....  I have also paid off all credit cards and only have one major card for emergencies.  I do use it for Internet purchases but I totally understand that I'm vulnerable when I do....  

Good luck.... do whatever makes you feel safest and hopefully you'll never be compromised again!  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I would be suspicious of an e-mail about something like this.   

I could tell it was a legitimate e-mail from our bank. They listed about 8 of my last purchases, then had two boxes to check: "I authorized all of these purchases," OR "I did not authorize some or all of these purchases." I checked the second box. Immediately after I checked it they called me. It was the bank's fraud department. After going over everything with them, they blocked my card and said they would send a new one. Actually, my old card did not have the chip, so they had already sent me a new one a while back. I just never got around to activating it. So I already had the card. The bank representative did it for me. 

I've been very impatient with our bank when we travel, or even when we don't. One time last fall I was with DD in a neighboring state at a store we go to a lot. I went to check out and my card was declined. It was embarassing because there were other people behind me. We know the manager. She came over and tried, then tried to put the numbers in manually. It didn't work, so I paid with a credit card. I was planning to take DD out to dinner since DH was away. I paid with my card - and it was fine. Later when we got home I called the bank. I was in another state, DH was in yet another state, and DS had purchased a few textbooks from Amazon that came from who knows where. The bank's representative said all the computer saw was all of these purchases linked to the same account, and it sensed fraud! I understood it, but it is a pain! 

It also blocked DD's csrd recently when she went away with friends. She called them, and they straightened it out right away so she was able to pay. 

Respected Contributor

I think banks are blocking purchases by computer more now. We were Christmas shopping - made a lot of purchases within a few hours. We were at Lululemon and our card was declined. The girl said it was happening all day. When we called the bank, they said many purchases within a few hours is a trigger for fraud. It declined the transaction automatically. Better safe than sorry, IMO It is embarrassing though
Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Adding a question to your question or comment. 

RFID protection:  I have the new chips on my card.  I am not sure the RFID protection is necessary. Does anyone know.  I understand about the OLD cards, but the new ones, doesn't seem to need them.  

If  your card is embedded with an EMV Chip (stands for Europay, Mastercard, Visa) and features microprocessor chips that store and PROTECT cardholder data then I don't believe you will need RFID protection.....

I have my CC with an EMV Chip and I still have it stored in an RFID wallet....  just makes me feel better.... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*