Respected Contributor

Re: Those little plastic cards we all have. . .

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think most cards being compromised is not due to them being scanned but they pick up the info some other way.  I've had it happen a couple times, caught by my bank and only a small amount was taken apparently as a trial.  They were also Asian companies that I'd never heard of.

Yes, had mine compromised several times and bank caught it because there was no security code used. Customer Service said the numbers are chosen at random .  I had a mileage card that has never been taken out of my house, compromised 3 TIMES. I had enough and said cancel this card, don't reissue. 

Honored Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

The thing that no one addresses during the RFID shows here on the Q is, when using a RFID credit card in a store at that point it's not protected in your RFID purse or RFID sleeves/cards, and that will be the time someone will skim your information.  Someone could be standing behind you in line or near the cash registers, and when you take out your credit card to pay, could skim all the information because you've removed it from the RFID protection.  None of the hosts or people selling these items ever talk about that.  I understand RFID wallets protect your card while walking around stores, traveling, and dining, etc, when you're not actually using your card, but they are not protected at the critical point when you're actually using the card to complete a transaction. 

Nothing is going to protect your card during the time it takes to pull it out and use it, but the chances that someone is near you during that transaction, waiting to skim the information is minimal. I complete the transaction quickly and get the card back in the wallet right away. There is much more time and opportunity for people to attempt to scan your card while you are shopping etc, and the card is protected.

I don't think the vendors would need to mention that, as I can't imagine anyone thinking that it would protect your card, when your card is not inside it. 

Honored Contributor

@Beachy1 wrote:

I think the RFID presentations are nothing more than fear-mongering...

Why is it every time someone brings up a subject about protection of any kind, someone out there goes right to the 'fear mongering' conclusion.

This is just another way to protect your credit card number and info from being stolen. If one is going to use a wallet anyway, why not have one that has a protective feature.

Are seat belts fear mongering? They are just an added level of protection. How about Car seats for kids?

How about life, or health, or home insurance? Are those simply the product of fear mongering, or a protective service?

I guess some people think any service or product that functions as protection or securing something is simply someone making money from fear mongering.

Honored Contributor

I think if one hasn't had to go through the hassle of getting a new card, remembering who you need to tell, having your phone not work because oopsie your auto-renew didn't go through, etc., there is somewhat of a "It can't/isn't going to happen to me" thing going on.

I am very well informed by both googling and my bank. It's a very easy and relatively inexpensive thing for a little more peace of mind when one has already been hacked, to buy the wallets. Bam, you've done all you personally can. Anything happens, it's a fluke.

I'm not scared, paranoid or uninformed. I am tired of having to go through the "old card/new card" circus.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I hate to say it but this week I received a call from Chase stating they thought that there were fraudulent charges on my CC. Turns out several cards were compromised and they were all tucked neatly away in my little protection wallets. I honestly think there are problems with security in windows 10. Several times, I have typed in a website on Microsoft Edge and I got what appears to be maleware and it is difficult to remove.

Honored Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I hate to say it but this week I received a call from Chase stating they thought that there were fraudulent charges on my CC. Turns out several cards were compromised and they were all tucked neatly away in my little protection wallets. I honestly think there are problems with security in windows 10. Several times, I have typed in a website on Microsoft Edge and I got what appears to be maleware and it is difficult to remove.

If you used them online or over the phone, the wallets have nothing to do with it. When you don't use them in person in a machine but just read out or type in the numbers, there is no protection. Most hacking nowadays, the cards never left the person's possession and they never took it out in public, but used it online or on the phone.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all