Honored Contributor

Those Who Admired the Sartorial Style of Dr. Deborah Birx - You Are Not Alone

Columnist Robin Givhan devoted her piece today to the "classically feminine" and reassuring dressing style of Dr. Deborah Birx.  (I do not think I need to introduce who she is at this point.)

Some snippets:

Birx’s style can be called classically feminine when she wears her shirtwaist dresses and knots silk scarves around her shoulders. She exudes academic wonkiness with her earth tones and tunics and mufflers double-wrapped around her neck. She never looks bland or nondescript. She doesn’t look like an automaton or someone who has lost herself in the data and computer models. And in doing so, she offers a subtle but important reminder to people that while this crisis is serious and meeting it is hard, we are still human. Do not lose yourself. Be kind to yourself.

Her style could go anywhere. It’s a multitasking aesthetic, modest but sophisticated. Contemporary but not trendy. It telegraphs competence and dependability. Her style is not a statement of power. It’s more likely to call to mind the image of a school nurse than a superhero.

Birx’s style speaks to her emotional intelligence. While the regular briefings are filled with folks in suits and uniforms — clipboard types who are very good at going through the motions of competence — Birx makes one feel like she’d be the one willing to put a cool compress to a fevered brow while everyone else was backing out of the room. (And then she’d wash her hands and duly self-quarantine.)

She is a perfectly calibrated vision of comfort and intelligence. A consoling meditation of personable style, facts and figures.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Those Who Admired the Sartorial Style of Dr. Deborah Birx - You Are Not Alone

Not being snarky, but what does the way that she dresses have to do with anything?

Is there going to be an article critiquing how Dr. Fauci dresses?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Those Who Admired the Sartorial Style of Dr. Deborah Birx - You Are Not Alone

I've been fascinated by her use of scarves.  She obviously loves them, is very adept at tying and arranging them and has a nice collection.  When she appears with others, her scarf of the day is often the most interesting thing on air.  That's all.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Guess it’s just me, but there’s a time and place for interest in fashion.  I have nothing against this doctor, but the topic of their discussion is the only thing that captures my interest.

Unlike our lovely English Rose Kate.  And for work, women scientists wear slacks and lab coats, which would likely disturb some fashionistas.  And sensible footwear,  no heels.

Honored Contributor

Guess it’s just me, but there’s a time and place for interest in fashion.

And I thought there was a thread in Fashion about this, almost identical title.  I could be wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Guess it’s just me, but there’s a time and place for interest in fashion.

And I thought there was a thread in Fashion about this, almost identical title.  I could be wrong.

Yes their was and I voiced my displeasure that what she wears was the focus of a discussion.  When will Dr. Fauci's clothing be discussed?

Honored Contributor

"Birx’s style speaks to her emotional intelligence."

Teehee. That's a new one. I need to buy me some of them emotionally eloquent scarves.

And here I thought we mostly wore those to hide neck wattles. Who knew?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

The thread is on page 2 on Fashion.  

Honored Contributor

Her 1985 Scarf Game is....strong.

Everything she wears definitely has a '1985' feel to it....

longer hems, stronger shoulders, large belts.

I recognize that look because I wore that look...in 1985.

Respected Contributor

When health care workers are wearing garbage bags, reading this (no offense at all to the OP) made me want to throw up.