Honored Contributor

Re: This week. Highest global temperatures in 100,000 years

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

How did they measure the temperature 100,000 years ago?

It really puts into question the validity of any information when you lead with headlines like that 😄.

Nature records everything.

Trusted Contributor

@Redshoes07 wrote:

It amazes me how "they" know how hot it was 100,000 years ago. 

Well, scientists study indirect clues like the chemical and structural signatures of rocks, fossils, and crystals, ocean sediments, fossilized reefs, tree rings, and ice cores.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trusted Contributor

I am always amazed at the lack of basic scientific literacy in this country.🙄

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

How did they measure the temperature 100,000 years ago?

It really puts into question the validity of any information when you lead with headlines like that 😄.

Nature records everything.

Don't think nature can record information to the week for the last 100,000 years.  That would be a foolish statement.  Perhaps over a period of hundreds of years, but not to the week.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@Redshoes07 wrote:

It amazes me how "they" know how hot it was 100,000 years ago. 

Well, scientists study indirect clues like the chemical and structural signatures of rocks, fossils, and crystals, ocean sediments, fossilized reefs, tree rings, and ice cores.

Which after careful study they can theorize what happen over large periods of time.  Not the temperature for any given week.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 i am a boomer myself. Boomers have been in charge of this country for decades. Look around you, floods, fires, record heat. We were warned about the disasters to come but those warnings were ignored. It is not too late to turn things around but false narratives are impediments to change. There is no will to sacrifice in a way that will make a difference. It will not get better until we do better.

Trusted Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

@Cakers3 i am a boomer myself. Boomers have been in charge of this country for decades. Look around you, floods, fires, record heat. We were warned about the disasters to come but those warnings were ignored. It is not too late to turn things around but false narratives are impediments to change. There is no will to sacrifice in a way that will make a difference. It will not get better until we do better.

I truly believe it will not get better until we are gone. It's the boomers who are the impediment. I am distressed about my generation and what happened to make us so suseptible to lies and anti-science propaganda. Thankfully it's not the majority, but enough to make any progress a struggle.

Honored Contributor

And it's been raining in other parts of the country.

Very 'strange' weather patterns, imo. 

I used to love the warm/hot weather (vacations), but now, at my age, I prefer much cooler temperatures.

So far, it's been somewhat cool here (compared with the other very high temperatures elsewhere).  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Lakelife62 @chessylady  Well I responded and apparently it was not appreciated.  Suffice to say this Boomer has been involved since I was 19 but my discussion is apparently neither needed nor wanted.

I've been duly erased 

Be well.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Lakelife62 @chessylady  Well I responded and apparently it was not appreciated.  Suffice to say this Boomer has been involved since I was 19 but my discussion is apparently neither needed nor wanted.

I've been duly erased 

Be well.

@Cakers3 

I read your post and thought perhaps you had deleted it yourself for some reason.

I found nothing out of line in what you wrote.

🤷‍♀️