Contributor

Re: This was me as a child…..was it you too?

I haven't thought about honeysuckle nectar for ages...thank you for reminding me of my childhood! 

Honored Contributor

@Keybra wrote:

@hckynut 

I've not been around for a few years...........how is your wife doing ?

@Keybra 

I really appreciate your interest in how my wife is doing. She is doing fine now and it's been a few years since she has spent time in the hospital.

She has been pretty busy this summer with her Pet Sitting business. She has only been home a couple days here and there. She left 2 days ago for another job and will be gone till next week.

She then will head out of town for an 8 day Sitting Job. 

We are both doing well and healthy. How are you and yours?

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I grew up in central NJ.  Yes, we had all those things 'cept for the S'mores.  I never heard of 'em either until a few years ago.  We had things called Scooter Pies you could buy at the grocery stores. 

Our ice cream truck man was 'The Good Humour Man' - white truck, rang a bell, you could get a whammy stick for 5 cents, but my favorite was the toasted coconut, and I think that was a quarter or maybe .35 cents.

We also called them lightning bugs.  Rode our bikes all over.  Walked all over.  Played kickball in the street.  Played basketball with a hoop on a tree in the backyard.  Always ate dinner at the table with the family.  Black n white TV - no remote.  Didn't have color TV til about 1980.

We did have a record player to listen to rock n roll - loudly.  That was high technology back then.  And if you had a separate receiver and speakers you were just too cool.

Yes, "those were the best days of my life" - Bryan Adams 'Summer of '69'

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh yes, that was my childhood.

We were fortunate to have a neighborhood full of children.  It was almost idyllic, to tell the truth.  

Even though we lived in the town, our neigborhood was the last before leaving downtown and entering farmland.  Because of this, one of our neighbors was able to stable a horse (and several neighbors had chicken houses).

Danny was the name of the horse, and we were able to ride him around a bit.  In the winter, he pulled us in a sleigh.  It was truly a blissful experience.

What a grand time we had!

We often visited the farm next to our properties and built "forts" with the cornstalks.   How we used our imagination.  

Super Contributor

That was my childhood also.  Oh, to be able to go back and relive those wonderful days and time in my life.  Never to come again!

Trusted Contributor

We lived right across from a long creek, so there were always plenty of lightning bugs....we always caught them in a jar, watched them light up, then let them fly away. We also caught crawdads and waded in the creek, made boats from twigs and leaves, followed them down the creek....good times! When my little 2,3, and 4 yr-old grandkids come over, we go out to the back flower beds, I give them each a small shovel and a bucket, and don't need to say anything else. They know what to do and dig to their hearts content. They love it.

Respected Contributor

That was mine, too, and I'm always thankful for it.  We did all that except the s'mores.  

Respected Contributor

Absolutely, this was me.

The kids today, I feel, got cheated.  So sad.

My childhood was.....magic.

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Before TV ?

I was not born "before" TV but I was born before color TV.  We had no color until I was near teen years.  The world was quite a different place.  So very different.....

Honored Contributor

We did have t.v.