Trusted Contributor

Re: This was me as a child…..was it you too?

@SeaMaiden  Yep, it was.

That said, it has been the same for my kids. Our decisions may not have been popular with them but they survived without electronics beyond set days/hours for TV and computer. We chose where we lived based on the area and schools; land, trees, trails, safety, plenty of kids, etc. Not easy but it can be done. Smiley Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@Jinlei 

I am laughing right now because I was SURE no one else had this memory.

My sis and I still talk about this and remember running behind the truck as it fogged Cat Surprised

Can you imagine?  How we didn't get sick or poisoned I will never know....but I have distinct memories of thinking how fun it was to get right into the fog.

Just crazy! Cat LOL

Trusted Contributor

Even though the television was made in 1927, doubtful it was within the reach of most working class people for many  years later due to the war, etc. We got our first TV set in the mid 50's and we were one of the first in our neighborhood to get one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 

I still have fond memories of honeysuckle nectar...still do that when I can find the vines Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

What sweet memories this brings back.

Summers meant being outside all day and into the dusk.  I cannot remember even coming inside for lunch.  We didn't have air conditioning, so it didn't matter.  I grew up in Southern Illinois and it was hot as the hinges of Hell in the summer  Cat LOL

We would hike and travel the neighborhood riding our bikes, with no fear of anything.  Our neighbor had a huge green apple tree and we would pick the ones off the ground for a treat.

My mom's lilac bushes were picked daily for their blossoms and that scent still reminds me of her.  She loved those bushes!

Trusted Contributor

Our entire back fence was covered in honeysuckle when I was a kid. We pulled them and tasted the nectar all the time....last night DH and I were taking our walk and we went down a side street where honeysuckle was growing next to the sidewalk  of a house...I pulled a bloom off and put it up to my lips...DH thought I was nuts! Had never heard of honeysuckle, poor guy.

Trusted Contributor

We call them "lightnin' bugs" here in Texas! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Jinlei wrote:

That was my childhood, too.   We could be outside till the first streetlight came on.    Those were good days.  Does anyone remember the trucks that would go through the neighborhood spraying for mosquitoes?  We used to call them the fogger!

@Jinlei  and we survived all that toxic spray somehow😄

@SeaMaiden   @Jinlei    That would have been DDT.  Remember it well.

@Witchy Woman 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Oh, yes! What fun we had as kids.

Contributor

Thanks for the memories!❤️