Respected Contributor

Re: This was me as a child…..was it you too?

Just add in roller skating everywhere...that was me in the 70's!

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Jinlei 

I am laughing right now because I was SURE no one else had this memory.

My sis and I still talk about this and remember running behind the truck as it fogged Cat Surprised

Can you imagine?  How we didn't get sick or poisoned I will never know....but I have distinct memories of thinking how fun it was to get right into the fog.

Just crazy! Cat LOL

@Witchy Woman 

My siblings and I and the neighborhood kids did the same!  Running behind the truck!  I do think to this day that probably was not a good idea!  Ah, memories!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

Except for the smores (you can substitute homemade chocolate cookies or peanut butter cookies instead) that was my childhood...............No trucks spraying for bugs, but an occasional huge truck that cleaned the streets...

And we played outside til the streetlights came on....we rode our bikes everywhere.....If it rained or was really hot then we stayed inside and played board games--- Monopoly, Sorry, Clue, Checkers........read comic books, Nancy Drew, the Bobsey Twins.....went for a swim at city pools my aunt would take us....

Only 3 TV stations....we walked a few blocks to the movies (they had a cartoon marathon matinee on Saturdays), there was the rollercade.....the library, and the 5 and 10 stores..

We played hopscotch, kickball, four square, jax, swings, merry go rounds, and slides

Glad I grew up in the era I did....It seems today kids have technology, but so much danger these days.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Oh, @SeaMaiden   - that was SO me, too, in Dallas, Texas!  We had no fear of staying out, running up and down the streets until dark. Those were the best times. I feel sorry for kids today who have no idea how different the times are that we are now living in.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Respected Contributor

@Jinlei  and we survived all that toxic spray somehow😄

Not everyone; that's why there's so many lawsuits against Monsanto and other such businesses. And DDT almost wiped out bald eagles and several other species.

Yep, that's me--Debbie Downer Woman Wink (I try to inject a scoupon of reality when the rose-colored glasses get a little too rose-colored.)

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Weren't we lucky to have been children during that era?  I'm so glad I was born before TV, video games and cell phones. 

We're glad too.

I'm in my 70's and I'm very glad we have the technology we have. There's a lot of people alive today that wouldn't be without it.

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Yes.  I had all those things mentioned, and loved all of it. 

But plenty of technology too.  Not today's technology; it's all relative to the time in which we're living.

When you were a child, your parents said the same thing about technology in their day versus you as kids. 

I'm glad more kids today travel more and get to see past their 6-block radius of their world.  They have access to wonders they could only hear about but never see and learn for themselves. 

I love that my young cousins lay on their backs at night counting fireflies, and the next day getting immersed in a streaming 3D anime installation from their living room. 

Man Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Jinlei 

Glad we weren't the ONLY lunatics Cat LOL

I'm wondering now if my parents just didn't notice we were doing it so never said anything.  At least I'm HOPING that is the case!

The stuff they sprayed back then probably had DDT in it, so...you've got to wonder what it was doing to our lungs.  Yikes!

Thankfully, I've not had any health issues, but it was a seriously stupid thing to do!

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

That was exactly how I grew up in So Cal.

Miss that.  I lived in Southern Cal from the age of 8 to 14.  I still miss it.  

Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1 ....brings back so many memories, and playing 'jacks'....we used to cover our back porch with rags, old sheets and pretend that it was a covered wagon, sitting on the top step holding on to several jump ropes with imaginary horses pulling (giddyup), we had so much fun making do with what we had.