Trusted Contributor

Re: This was me as a child…..was it you too?

[ Edited ]

My mother gave us her empty wooden spools and we rubbed the end across a wet bar of ivory soap. Then blew through the hole in the other end. That was how we blew bubbles. Our curfew was when the street light next to our house. We loved playing in the creek across from our house. We spent very little time inside the house when the weather was nice. We were one of the only families on our block with a TV.  I don't even remember any shows that were on it because it was new; only the Friday night fights when several dads from our block would some over and watch it with my dad. The test pattern meant we were not in bed on time.

Super Contributor

Every single line was true for me. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden Yes, we are kindred sisiters.  My mom would say if I turned over on my bike, brush off and keep going, you are all right!   Now kids have pads and helmets, could this be part of my problem?  HA, bad knees, back ,etc.........

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mombo1   I also grew up in western, Pa.   We didn't have a bread man but we did have the milk man.  I remember hearing the clinking of the bottles as he was putting them in the milk box on the back porch early in the morning.

And yes, I do remember my parents asking me to change the channels on our B&W TV.  It took my Dad a long time before he would consider a color TV.  He'd always say, let's wait until they improve them.  I think it was my Mother's insistence that finally got us our first color set.  

i think one of the happiest days of my life was when we had cable TV put in.  Up until that time we only got two channels.  I always laugh when I hear people say today that there is nothing to watch on TV.   They should have lived back then when you either had to watch what was on one channel or the other.  There was no other alternatives.

Respected Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

That was my childhood, too.   We could be outside till the first streetlight came on.    Those were good days.  Does anyone remember the trucks that would go through the neighborhood spraying for mosquitoes?  We used to call them the fogger!

We didn't have the fogger trucks but we did have the street sweeper.  I remember everyone had to move their cars from the street on Friday night because that was when he would come by.  I remember standing by the window and getting the biggest kick out of seeing this big truck go up one side of the street and then down the other.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jinlei wrote:

That was my childhood, too.   We could be outside till the first streetlight came on.    Those were good days.  Does anyone remember the trucks that would go through the neighborhood spraying for mosquitoes?  We used to call them the fogger!

@Jinlei 

In my area it was the helicopters that were spraying it was for the fruit fly or something. 

Super Contributor

@hckynut 

I've not been around for a few years...........how is your wife doing ?

Respected Contributor

Everything true for me too except where I grew up they were lightning bugs! 

Respected Contributor

Kick the can, ghost in the graveyard, black and white tv with 5 channels.

When my mom wanted us home, she'd scream our names out the back door

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden  This was pretty much my childhood also. Except for the s'mores. Had no idea what they were until many, many years later.

I always say, thank god I grew up without social media. I think my life would have been very different and not in a good way.Smiley Wink Very thankful for the time I grew up in. None of these things mentioned in your gif are ever coming back. Really sad in a way.