Honored Contributor

Re: This question is for any hospital nurses on the Forum

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

Great suggestions everyone!  I will contact the hospital admin as well as the Nursing Dept.  And thanks for the tip about cookies being individually wrapped.  I need to call my daughter to find out the name of the cookie store I'm thinking about.  I don't think I could afford individual size Nothing Bundt Cakes Smiley Surprised 

They sale big family size cakes as well and it is sealed.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm  may I suggest "Wicked Whoopies" web site.  I have ordered them multiple times they are sooo good.  Their Whoopie pies ate individually wrapped for freshness. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11  Hi, No one in ICU as far as my state goes is allowed anything in ICU. patients are fighting for their lives and don't need flowers, chocolates.  ICU is for survival.

With bacterium  meaning bugs, it's enough today already.  I find it better to keep visitor's at a minimum.  This comes from a sepsis survior,even though surgeon slipped the knife on the operating table. Boom.  

Sepsis does not need to come from a cut through surgery.  I won't get a pedicure anymore either.  Check it out if ou have interest.

I find it best to stay out of the hospital and let patients recover alone, hopefully in a private room.

From a sepsis, abdominal infection surviror.  3 months.  End of story.  Please learn.

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

@Trinity11  Hi, No one in ICU as far as my state goes is allowed anything in ICU. patients are fighting for their lives and don't need flowers, chocolates.  ICU is for survival.

With bacterium  meaning bugs, it's enough today already.  I find it better to keep visitor's at a minimum.  This comes from a sepsis survior,even though surgeon slipped the knife on the operating table. Boom.  

Sepsis does not need to come from a cut through surgery.  I won't get a pedicure anymore either.  Check it out if ou have interest.

I find it best to stay out of the hospital and let patients recover alone, hopefully in a private room.

From a sepsis, abdominal infection surviror.  3 months.  End of story.  Please learn.

Yes, @Pink123 , I am very familiar with sepsis. My son nearly died from it at age 14. He went into septic shock and his heart stopped in front of me while the doctors worked on him. It was terrible, so I know exactly what you must have gone through.

That's why I posted the above. Not sure the OP read it, though.😳

Honored Contributor

I would check first but I'd do a big fruit basket.  Most healthy, least likely for allergies, and I'd think very welcome for the break room!

Respected Contributor

@monicakm I would send food. A nice spread of food for lunch or dinner. You could send the night shift a different type of food. Maybe desserts. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conlt wrote:

@monicakm I would send food. A nice spread of food for lunch or dinner. You could send the night shift a different type of food. Maybe desserts. 

@conlt  That would not be allowed in any hospital I ever knew of.  Hospitals must abide not only by their in-house rules but those of Joint Commission.  Perhaps some of the small hospitals in rural areas would allow it but none that I know of would. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never asked, but I had flowers delivered to the ER doctor who suggested the CT Scan that ended up detecting my mass. She also ordered an ultrasound.  Once I got to the point of seeing a urologist and told him my story, he said she saved my life.  I was only hospitalized a couple of days.  The staff was good, but didn't to anything over and above what's commonly part of their duties.  My second day post op, I was walking the halls unassisted and getting my own coffee.  Honestly I didn't even think about doing anything for them.

If you want to send something for the department/floor, I'd suggest a fruit basket or a couple boxes of Fannie Mae candy, provided it's allowed.

Respected Contributor

Oh @Trinity11  I'm so sorry but your son and I are lucky to be here today.  So many don't even walk out of the hospital.  and get to see sunshine again.

It attacked all my organs too.  Heart stopped, kidneys and lungs all failed.  It travels through the blood as you know and moves to death within hourjs if not dealt with STAT

There are many ways to get sepsis other than the hospital and the less people walking in with god knows what the better.  Over 100,000 people die in hospitals a year for pete's sake.  I didn't want to see anyone but I was really in bad shape.

I also read that the 5 year survival rate of sepsis is not that great either.  I have joint pain and my kidneys are still affected.  I'm sure my heart still is too.  Oh well, one day at a time and am grateful to be here today.  Your son too! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I never asked, but I had flowers delivered to the ER doctor who suggested the CT Scan that ended up detecting my mass. She also ordered an ultrasound.  Once I got to the point of seeing a urologist and told him my story, he said she saved my life.  I was only hospitalized a couple of days.  The staff was good, but didn't to anything over and above what's commonly part of their duties.  My second day post op, I was walking the halls unassisted and getting my own coffee.  Honestly I didn't even think about doing anything for them.

If you want to send something for the department/floor, I'd suggest a fruit basket or a couple boxes of Fannie Mae candy, provided it's allowed.

I assume she stayed on the Intensive Care Unit @JeanLouiseFinch . No food is allowed or flowers. I was there a week last year and when I asked about sending food to the Nurses desk, they told me no eating was allowed there. Flowers harbor germs and everything has to be sterile.

Hope you are doing well!💐💕