Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

We do have control over our destiny because of our God given free agency. What we choose to do or not do changes the course of not only our lives, but others lives as well. Someone who drives drunk and causes a fatal wreck is in control of the situation.l God did not plan it, and cause it. The driver chose to drink. If everything was pre planned there would be no need to take treatments for illness or anything. The young woman with the brain tumor last year drank the medication that ended her life early. She was in control, and used her free agency to end her life. 

MOST Christian religions teach that when a person commits suicide they go against God's will and do not go to eternal life in Heaven.

Actually, that's not true.

If you repent your sins before you die, even when you commit suicide, you will go to heaven.

Honored Contributor

I always find it interesting that so many people are afraid to die.  It doesn't make much sense, because we are dying from the moment we are conceived.  If anything in life is for sure, it is that we are going to die period.

There are many things in life way worse than dying.  My late husband was in about as perfect shape as you can be at 58 years old.  Yet one October morning he stood up and just dropped dead in my arms.

They could not find out what was wrong why he died.

My brother's girlfriend (after he was married for 50 years and his wife died of cancer) had his 52 year old girlfriend (he's 75) was driving him in the car when her heart just stopped.  She was dead, he pulled over the car.

My point is you are going to die so being afraid to die is plain stupid.  One problem is how you die (now that makes me a bit nervous), but OK, not to the point I worry.

Worse than dying?  How about something happening to your children or grandchildren?  Well, I've had many miscarriages at later stages of pregnancy and worst of all I had a grandchild that died.  Nothing is much worse than that.

So, as far as being afraid of the terrorists.  There's being afraid and there's being stupid about all of this.  You can be cautious and alert and keep a watchful eye.  If not for yourself then for other's.

I agree, you don't want to give in to the terrorists.  But you don't have to be stupid about it either.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

We do have control over our destiny because of our God given free agency. What we choose to do or not do changes the course of not only our lives, but others lives as well. Someone who drives drunk and causes a fatal wreck is in control of the situation.l God did not plan it, and cause it. The driver chose to drink. If everything was pre planned there would be no need to take treatments for illness or anything. The young woman with the brain tumor last year drank the medication that ended her life early. She was in control, and used her free agency to end her life. 

MOST Christian religions teach that when a person commits suicide they go against God's will and do not go to eternal life in Heaven.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I don't think you are correct.  Mine does not teach that, or other mainstream denominations I am aware of.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor
If there is a god she knows what our pain is and is mercible.
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

My father ( who has since passed away) use to say "if I'm on a flight and it's the pilot's day to die, what happens to all the passengers on the flight, is it also their day to die?" Makes you wonder!

Your father made more sense than most of the people who have posted on this subject....thank you for your post......

Esteemed Contributor

I'm afraid of what terrorism is doing to our country mentally than anything physical.  Be sensible,not scared.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

While many say this I don't get it.  If that's the case we could live as dangerously as we want because if it's not our time to go we will be safe no matter what.

Hi Pook. I don't believe that way either. It's a Christian Fundamentalist teaching.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Tissyanne wrote:

Actually, that's not true.

If you repent your sins before you die, even when you commit suicide, you will go to heaven.

So you would have to repent of your sin of committing suicide somewhere between doing the deed and actually dying then because suicide is a mortal sin.

Valued Contributor

151949 wrote:

When my brother was killed in Viet Nam my mother said it was his day to die and had he not been in the war he would have died that day anyway. She believed this and it helped her cope.

If one is to believe in fate (which I do) then it follows that it was your brother's fate to be in Vietnam and that God ordained his death in that place and on that day.  He couldn't or wouldn't have been anywhere else because that was not his fate.  I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but it seems to follow suit for me that if we believe in the hand of God then we have to believe he orchestrates not only the when but the where.

I totally understand your mom's coping mechanism, I felt that same mechanism kick in when my husband and I lost our son, we do what we have to do to get past the pain.

Maria

Esteemed Contributor

I refuse to believe that a beautiful young American girl was killed at a Paris café last week because it was her time. NO! Evil, demented, misguided psychopaths murdered her. We MUST take responsibility for uniting with like-minded ethical people of the world and pursue these monsters and their hideous ideas. They're not just thugs with guns. They have unthinkable ideas about where humanity should be headed...or beheaded. What is that definition of evil...when good people do nothing in the face of heinous acts?