Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I believe this because as a  critical care nurse we are in the business of trying to cheat death. So many times a patient who was perfectly stable would suddenly cardiac arrest and despite every possible intervention they still die, but someone who is on the edge for days and days codes and viola - we pull them right back with little effort.

I have often cared for patients who have done horrible things to themselves to commit suicide, and really should have died but did not. Seriously injured and in ICU - but still alive. 

ICU has really reinforced to me that we are not the ones in control of the ultimate outcome.

Then why be a nurse at all?

If one's death is predestined, there's NOTHING you can do about it... you have wasted your time.

No she has not wasted her time,that is not the point,and terrible to say that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When my brother was killed in Viet Nam my mother said it was his day to die and had he not been in the war he would have died that day anyway. She believed this and it helped her cope.

That's why it's taught/said/claimed. Because it helps (some) people cope. 

Opiate of the masses kind of thing...

I don't believe one word of it.  If the Vietnam War had not happened hundreds of thousands would not have perished and the course of everyone's life would have been vastly different if not history itself.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I believe this because as a  critical care nurse we are in the business of trying to cheat death. So many times a patient who was perfectly stable would suddenly cardiac arrest and despite every possible intervention they still die, but someone who is on the edge for days and days codes and viola - we pull them right back with little effort.

I have often cared for patients who have done horrible things to themselves to commit suicide, and really should have died but did not. Seriously injured and in ICU - but still alive. 

ICU has really reinforced to me that we are not the ones in control of the ultimate outcome.

If one's death is predestined, there's NOTHING you can do about it... you have wasted your time.

It's a point of logic, I am sorry you misunderstood. 

Here is another example:

If our death is predestined, why would we try to save our own life?  It would not be under our control.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Here is another example:

If our death is predestined, why would we try to save our own life?  It would not be under our control.

I see both your points. 

However HH's job as a nurse, was to save every life.  Not decide which to 'work on', and which one to not. 

She was just doing her job.

Anyone caught in a building fire, would try to escape rather than succumb to it (on purpose) regardless of their ideas on faith.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@NoelSeven wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Here is another example:

I see both your points. 

However HH's job as a nurse, was to save every life.  Not decide which to 'work on', and which one to not. 

She was just doing her job.

Anyone caught in a building fire, would try to escape rather than succumb to it (on purpose) regardless of their ideas on faith.

Whew, I'm glad you got it Smiley Happy

Yes, I agree with your comment about being a nurse, but the point is that:

IF one believed in predestined death, THEN they would know that nothing they did would change the outcome.  The person either dies or not and it is not under their control.

This is a pretty common question that comes up in logic class because there is no real reason to try to change the outcome IF one actually believes it is foretold, unchangeable.

Thanks for weighing in, LC!

Honored Contributor

Re: This morning's sermon

[ Edited ]

We do have control over our destiny because of our God given free agency. What we choose to do or not do changes the course of not only our lives, but others lives as well. Someone who drives drunk and causes a fatal wreck is in control of the situation.l God did not plan it, and cause it. The driver chose to drink. If everything was pre planned there would be no need to take treatments for illness or anything. The young woman with the brain tumor last year drank the medication that ended her life early. She was in control, and used her free agency to end her life. 

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

We do have control over a destiny because of our God given free agency. What we choose to do or not do changed the course of not only our lived but others as well. Someone who drives drunk and causes a fatal wreck is in control of the situation. God did not plan it, and cause it. 

I agree. 

Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven, I edited my post and corrected my grammar plus added to my thoughts. 

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@NoelSeven, I edited my post and corrected my grammar plus added to my thoughts. 

OK, this includes your additional thoughts:

"We do have control over our destiny because of our God given free agency. What we choose to do or not do changes the course of not only our lives, but others lives as well. Someone who drives drunk and causes a fatal wreck is in control of the situation.l God did not plan it, and cause it. The driver chose to drink. If everything was pre planned there would be no need to take treatments for illness or anything. The young woman with the brain tumor last year drank the medication that ended her life early. She was in control, and used her free agency to end her life."

And I continue to agree with your train of thought Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

We do have control over our destiny because of our God given free agency. What we choose to do or not do changes the course of not only our lives, but others lives as well. Someone who drives drunk and causes a fatal wreck is in control of the situation.l God did not plan it, and cause it. The driver chose to drink. If everything was pre planned there would be no need to take treatments for illness or anything. The young woman with the brain tumor last year drank the medication that ended her life early. She was in control, and used her free agency to end her life. 

MOST Christian religions teach that when a person commits suicide they go against God's will and do not go to eternal life in Heaven.