Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

This vet business has become ridiculous.  I get the feeling it's for the convenience of the vet.  No owner to contend with.  Surely everyone could be masked and stand apart.  Doctors are seeing patients, why not vets?  I have a dog that gets so upset, he hyperventilates, and I'm not putting him through that again.  It's too hot to sit in a car for an hour or longer, even with AC.  I notice the charges are still ridiculously high...no discount for minimal service.

@Kachina624 

Just in point of fact:

The Veterinarians are seeing their patients.  I have had several in person MD visits during this time.  They too are only allowing the patient in the building, at least where I live.  I have NO expectation of a discount because my DH doesn’t get to come in with me.

Any DVM who did not practice the ultimate in personal health safety, would not be trusted to care for my animals.

@Drythe    I'm sorry but I'm a customer too.  When my "kids" have their annual exams, I want to be there to observe, ask questions and make comments.  I pay for that service and I'm not getting my money's worth.  Also one of my dogs, a rescue with an unhappy past, is traumatized by all this handling by strangers.  I've never even met the vet who examined my dogs.  Apparently they slipped a new one in.  To say we had no rapport would be a gross understatement.  I won't take my dogs back until the situation changes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

This vet business has become ridiculous.  I get the feeling it's for the convenience of the vet.  No owner to contend with.  Surely everyone could be masked and stand apart.  Doctors are seeing patients, why not vets?  I have a dog that gets so upset, he hyperventilates, and I'm not putting him through that again.  It's too hot to sit in a car for an hour or longer, even with AC.  I notice the charges are still ridiculously high...no discount for minimal service.

@Kachina624 

Just in point of fact:

The Veterinarians are seeing their patients.  I have had several in person MD visits during this time.  They too are only allowing the patient in the building, at least where I live.  I have NO expectation of a discount because my DH doesn’t get to come in with me.

Any DVM who did not practice the ultimate in personal health safety, would not be trusted to care for my animals.

@Drythe    I'm sorry but I'm a customer too.  When my "kids" have their annual exams, I want to be there to observe, ask questions and make comments.  I pay for that service and I'm not getting my money's worth.  Also one of my dogs, a rescue with an unhappy past, is traumatized by all this handling by strangers.  I've never even met the vet who examined my dogs.  Apparently they slipped a new one in.  To say we had no rapport would be a gross understatement.  I won't take my dogs back until the situation changes.

@Kachina624 

I understand what you are saying....All my family and friends use the same vet....we've been with him since he first started and was the only vet that would treat a cat on a weekend and saved its life (this was before there were any emergency vet clinics in town)....He somtimes teaches at Texas A&M college so he has an Associate---she has NO people skills and you can see the $$$ in her eyes (where our vet tries to provide the best care and at the same time keeps in mind the expense....) My cats are fine around both vets, but my sister's cat is very anxious, jumpy and scared  when around unknown people (he was a rescue and went through a tough time ---- was scarred and malnourished when she found him)....So she likes to be with her cat too when she takes him to the vet....the only other person the cat trusts is the male Vet Tech.....She does not like the way the pandemic has made appointments....She tries to schedule when the regular vet is around, she doesnt think the other vet does a good job, so the more reason she wants to be in that room and ask questions....and discuss the cat's health and issues....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: This makes no sense

[ Edited ]

What if you have to end your pets life?I could not  let them go ,without me there loving them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Just in point of fact:

@Kachina624 

In Your first post, you made the statement, “ Doctors are seeing Patients, why not Vets?”

To my point - again, YOU are a Client / Companion, NOT the Patient.  The Patient, in this case your dog, is receiving full service.  Your dog may NOT like being unaccompanied.  I didn’t like going in for out patient surgery alone, without my Spouse / Companion but I did received full care.  Having a companion / loved one present is not a service we pay for at the Vet or Hospital.

One if my rescue babies desperately needed emergency Vet services recently, I was grateful it was available even though adjustments were made for the pandemic.

Great, the vet practice was able to hire a new vet with so many people out of work, and while dealing with new health challenges.  I doubt they considered it as “slipping in a new one.”

I am an animal Mom, lover, protector, volunteer, rescuer, and advocate, I totally understand the deep desire need to be with them.  But, These are not normal times, I applaud those who continue to work providing necessary, critical services at their own risk, while taking precautions to protect themselves and others.  It is up to each of us to adjust, - or not.

I’ve had my say, I’m sure you will also.

Make it a great day.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  I agree with you. There are some things for which 'curbside service' is no service at all and simply doesn't work.

It is what it is these days.  Vet offices usually have mandates for for opening just like every other place.  I was grateful they were open and doing curbside when my old girl had a UTI.  I gladly sat I the parking lot and went over everything with the vet on the phone to get her some relief.  Since then they have opened up to in office visits with one person with the pet.  This is a large practice and able to accommodate the mandate requirements, small practices are still doing curbside.  However because they have to limit traffic they are booked weeks in advance.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

What if you have to end your pets life?I could not  let them go ,without me there loving them.

That just happened last week to my niece's dog.  They were given the option of coming in to be with the dog or have the dog returned to the vehicle and the vet would come out.

When one of my dogs had an unexpected finding the vet called me in to review the x-rays, discuss the findings and protocols.

At least at my vet's they do make exceptions.  Also, they have changed their original approach of calling at the end of an appointment.  Now when the pet is returned, the vet comes to the car to go over the findings and answer any questions.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

Just in point of fact:

I agree with you @Kachina624 and I think we're all grateful for service when we need it. That said, I think it's important for us all to remember that they aren't there simply for benefit of us and our pets, they're earning a living... While they, of course, want to be responsible and safe, they also need to think about the customer paying for the service and what he or she requires... Again, @Drythe  I might (or might not...) prefer company when keeping an appointment for myself, but again, the big difference is I know what's going on and can speak on my own behalf.... Regardless of who is the 'patient', as the caregiver, It's almost essential to be able to engage in a dialog and not simply chat by phone... I'd also note that it's an assumption that your animal is getting 'full service' in your absence, especially with a new vet with whom you're unfamiliar and about whom you weren't informed in advance... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...