Honored Contributor

A small child caught a life threatening infection ,from trying on shoes in her bare feet. I have never heard of this before, but, if you have a tot  in your life, it might be worth making sure they don't do this barefooted

https://mom.me/news/271425-4-year-old-catches-deadly-infection-after-trying-shoes-barefoot/

Esteemed Contributor

Not familiar with life threatening foot whatever - but easy to pick up fungus from public swimming pools.  (concrete - pool side)

Respected Contributor

That’s so scary! It’s a good thing her mother got her right to the hospital. I’m carrying a pair of thin cotton socks with me whenever I shop for shoes from now on. It probably wouldn’t hurt to spritz the insides of new shoes with a little rubbing alcohol when you get them home. As the article said, you never know who tried them on before you. Thanks for sharing. 

Honored Contributor

I think you could spray them with Lysol, inside

Esteemed Contributor

While wearing socks is always a good idea when trying on shoes IMO the article is remiss in not stressing that the bacteria that caused the infection could have come from any source and the shoes would be just one possibility.

As stated in the article:  Doctors think that Sienna might have picked up an infection from the bacteria in the shoes, probably from an open wound, like a graze or bite on her foot, before it turned septic and spread to her legs.

Since the child was wearing sandals and probably an open wound she could have become infected anywhere.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

She could ,and perhaps she also could have passed her infection on ,to others, via the shoes she tried on

Honored Contributor

Many years ago people couldn't try on shoes without wearing socks, stockings or something on their feet.  Now I see many people trying on shoes in their bare feet which turns me off and makes me want to say something to them.  I would think they would know better but people just don't care.  I blame the store management for not enforcing that people must wear socks, stockings, peds  to try on shoes but anything goes and people are afraid to do what is right for fear of offending someone. It is health hazard and shows a clear disregard for others.

Honored Contributor

From what I know about septis, it is a bacterial infection, I am not sure it can "live" on surfaces. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Wow there are so many things that one can worry about!  

I didn't read the article and I hope the little girl is okay.

I recently read a story about a teen who went to the beach in Fl. (a beach that I go to when I visit my mother) and was buried in the sand by his friends.  He got a very bad infection of hookworm which is a parasite that had been in the sand. He'll have permanent scaring on his body.  His friends also got it but not as bad.

After I heard that I've been keeping my flip flops on when I go to the local beach but I realize that wearing them really doesn't help since of course I get sand all over my feet & legs.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I recently read a story about a teen who went to the beach in Fl. (a beach that I go to when I visit my mother) and was buried in the sand by his friends.  He got a very bad infection of hookworm which is a parasite that had been in the sand. He'll have permanent scaring on his body.  His friends also got it but not as bad.

After I heard that I've been keeping my flip flops on when I go to the local beach but I realize that wearing them really doesn't help since of course I get sand all over my feet & legs.

O

@haddon9 wrote:

@haddon9   Wow ! I go to the beach a lot and I do keep my flip flops on ,  but your right they really aren't much protection from anything like hookworm .....eek just thinking about that creeps me out 😜.  I will consider wearing a more closed shoe like my sketchers.