Honored Contributor

Re: This is Highly Unusual - Lots of SNOW!

@just bee   Yes, I remember that snow storm.  Remember the one on New Year's Eve that was 20 something inches?  Chicago had some pretty good snow storms.  It was un going tobogganing, skating, sleding.  We just don't have the winters of the past where kids enjoyed outdoor winter sports.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@just bee   Yes, I remember that snow storm.  Remember the one on New Year's Eve that was 20 something inches?  Chicago had some pretty good snow storms.  It was un going tobogganing, skating, sleding.  We just don't have the winters of the past where kids enjoyed outdoor winter sports.

@Katcat1 

I remember spending most winters on my back.  I'd leave the house so bundled up that I couldn't move my arms, then immediately slip on a patch of ice and lie there until a kind adult would help me up.

Years later I tried skiing.  Hated it.  Spent the entire time on my back as an obstacle on the slopes.

Why spend so much money on something I did for free growing up?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Checking in from NW Indiana.  We were up near the lake yesterday and had an early dinner with one of our kids. We headed for home around 5:30, hoping to beat the snow.  The closer we got, the worse the snow became.  We ended up with about 10” by this morning.  We’re all being advised to stay home unless that’s absolutely impossible.  I just came in fro helping DH clear the driveway and sidewalk.  The plows came through earlier and practically buried us in.  Along the edge of the driveway and in front of our mailbox the snow depth is doubled, and it’s heavy!  

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I'm about 6 hours east of you and we received 17" in that storm. We're breaking records for snow this year. I'm tired of the 12" to 18" snowfalls, winds, drifts. 

It does wear you down quicklySmiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

6-10 inches is forecasted for RI starting tomorrow afternoon.  Tough call as it may change to some sleet/freezing rain then back to snow.  All in all though it seems we will end up with a fair amount regardless........I love it because I don't have to shovel anymore living in a townhouse Smiley Happy    

Respected Contributor

I agree that snow is pretty and kids enjoy it.   However, if its wet and heavy my main concern is losing power.  It's cold in PA.  We keep talking about getting a generator to handle the whole house but they are expensive and of course we only think about when a storm is coming.  Hoping for the best.

Honored Contributor

Here in Northeast Indiana, the latest report I have is 8.3 inches. DH and are having fun looking out the window at the kids   playing in the snow.  One family has a 4 wheeler hooked up  and pulling the kids around on a sled.  Some of the teenagers are even standing up and skiing.  The kids really needed this.  I think God sent the snow just for our kids!  Some of my happiest memories are playing in the snow.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Katcat1 

I remember spending most winters on my back.  I'd leave the house so bundled up that I couldn't move my arms, then immediately slip on a patch of ice and lie there until a kind adult would help me up.

Years later I tried skiing.  Hated it.  Spent the entire time on my back as an obstacle on the slopes.

Why spend so much money on something I did for free growing up?

@just bee 

@Katcat1 

I'm in IL as well and live across from a big park with a hill.  Tons of kids play in the snow. They are having a blast and have been for weeks, even when there was barely any snow on the ground. 

Sheridan Road is beautiful. Beautiful area to grow up in 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I spent about an hour watching snow news in Chicago on The Weather Channel and was green with envy.  I know it inconviences a lot of people and is even dangerous but I do so love it.  It's  beautiful.   We got some nice snowfalls in October  and November but is getting a little late now.

@Kachina624 

Thanks for the post - I'm in Chicago and you're right. The snow really is beautiful from my window. Your fresh perspective made me appreciate today.

This would have been a great Christmas morning since no one was going anywhere anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

13.5" in Lincoln, NE early this week. Everything we get, goes across IA, IL, IN and beyond. This was the largest amount of snowfall since October, 1997 and crippled our community.

We no longer have the plows (and crews) for such a snowstorm as our community has grown many times over. Also, so many younger drivers have never driven in this much snow and icy weather.

USPS little trucks were unable to negiotate the hills and became high centered on the snow mounds making delivery impossible for three or four days. Three snow days for schools and UNL, as well.  

My snow removal crew arrived early after the snow ceased, but I have not been anywhere this week. Going to the library today and maybe the grocery store. It's been beautiful and oh, so quiet! 

Everyone stay home, warm and safe!

Money screams; wealth whispers.