Frequent Contributor

Re: This happened in the supermarket

@ahoymate wrote:

I guess one would have to have been there to judge the situation. The way you've described the sceanerio, your husband came across aggressive and you piled on top with your comment about teaching her daugher. That's how I read it. 

Yes, something about this story must have been omitted. It sure did not seem to warrant comments from the OP and her husband in front of a child.

Honored Contributor

?  The cashier should have told this woman to refrain from touching another customer's items imo.

Trusted Contributor

I am curious as to why it upset you and your husband to the point of getting confrontational?  If she could move your groceries over to maake more room what is the problem?  In my opinion your husband was the one at fault, neither of you own the store.

If someone behind me moved ny items, I would have apologized and moved them as well realizing I advertently was taking up unneeded space.

Honored Contributor

@Hippiified wrote:

Don’t touch my stuff!

@Hippiified

I remember that line from the movie, Burlesque, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

Those who allow rude behavior and meekly accept strangers pushing them around encourage that behavior so we all get more of it. No one has ever involved themselves with my groceries but if tried, I'd put a stop to it.

There's no need to be meek, or to accept behavior that bothers us.  But "Don't touch my stuff!" is not the way adults should speak to each other.  "Excuse me - Please stop doing that" is far more civil.  And the OP should have refrained from her own comment altogether.  Saying something regarding a child with the child standing right there is out of bounds.  That was really unnecessary.

I read here all the time about how the younger generation is lacking in manners, how they don't know how to talk to people, etc.  In my experience, plenty of older people are rude and abrupt, and lacking in manners - much more so than younger ones.  And threads like this just prove it.   So many posters are very quick to jump to being antagonistic without even trying to keep things civil. 

Honored Contributor

Being reactive here and irl is not to be applauded nor is it commendable. 

Regular Contributor

Yawn...

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I got yelled at at the grocery store today.  It must be the season for the Grinch.

i saw an older woman who was clearly struggling to pick up a few twelve packs of Pepsi that were stacked on the floor.  I asked if I could help her and she screamed " No, I can do it myself" a simple no, thank you would have been better.  She yelled so loud, she scared me.

When I got to the end of the isle, I noticed she still was struggling. She couldn't bend over and lift the Pepsi into her cart. I could have picked it up with one hand.

@Carmie  

I would have let you help me and be very grateful!   (It wouldn’t have been Pepsi but, water for me)   It must have been disconcerting to be yelled when trying to be nice. 

I’ve found it a little strange when I’ve been asked to get something off a high shelf; I’m almost 5’4” but, I guess that was “tall” compared to an under 5’0”!  (Sometimes I am able to reach the item, sometimes not. If not, I help look for a tall person or get a clerk) 

Respected Contributor

She should not have touched your groceries.  Why are we always finding reasons why people are rude or break rules.  It is your time at the register and the cashier will check you out and then it is her turn.  Pushing your groceries and putting hers up there will not get her out any faster.  

Occasional Contributor

wow I agree with everything you've said.. this "me" is all that  matters generation is really annoying and very sad.  I'm trying to teach my now teenage kids that the world does not revolve around them and to take responsibility for their words and actions.  I've seen a lot of things going on wherever I'm at, and just bite my tongue to avoid confrontation.