Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

This is a discussion board, not a make one statement and move on board.

If people can't handle disagreement maybe they should switch to Among Friends.

Disagreeing is not the same as arguing.  Opinions are not right or wrong (unless it is a medical or legal court opinion), that is why they are opinions.

If someone gives incorrect facts, there is nothing wrong with others disagreeing and backing it up with facts. 

This board has been that way for years and years.

I totally agree, facts have to be correct or they wouldn't be facts.  Opinions do not have to be based on facts, however.

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

There are ways of expressing an opinion that don't make  the other person  feel diminished or condescended to.  

Very wise words.

@september@, @QVCkitty1, I totally agree.

There are many times I stop and think about how grateful I am to my parents.  I was always taught that my opinion was valued by them and they wanted to hear my opinions.  But my mother always said that although everyone has a right to their own opinion, it does not give you the right to express that opinion in a disrespectful manner and sometimes it is just not the right time or place to express that opinion.  Man Happy

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Disagreeing is not the same as arguing.  Opinions are not right or wrong (unless it is a medical or legal court opinion), that is why they are opinions.

If someone gives incorrect facts, there is nothing wrong with others disagreeing and backing it up with facts. 

I totally agree, facts have to be correct or they wouldn't be facts.  Opinions do not have to be based on facts, however.

@colliegirls

IMO intelligent opinions are based on facts whenever possible.

People will often say something like their opinion is that a certain dog is more violent than another, when the facts don't back it up.  That's just an example.

Not too long ago some people adamantly stated their opinion was that a certain marriage would ruin the marriages of another group of people.  Many knew there were no facts to back that up, and in fact it has not happened.

Sometimes it's a thin line between fact and opinion, I will grant you that.

Honored Contributor

We all have preferences; I like debating a situation, a problem, an issue. I don't  mind disagreement.  While others may like sympathy, human interest or celebrity  posts.

All I ask is that posters title their threads so that I can determine what they are about without opening them.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

We all have preferences; I like debating a situation, a problem, an issue. I don't  mind disagreement.  While others may like sympathy, human interest or celebrity  posts.

All I ask is that posters title their threads so that I can determine what they are about without opening them.

You can almost bet that if the title is designed so you can't tell what it's about, it was deliberate, for whatever reason.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@colliegirls

IMO intelligent opinions are based on facts whenever possible.

People will often say something like their opinion is that a certain dog is more violent than another, when the facts don't back it up.  That's just an example.

Not too long ago some people adamantly stated their opinion was that a certain marriage would ruin the marriages of another group of people.  Many knew there were no facts to back that up, and in fact it has not happened.

Sometimes it's a thin line between fact and opinion, I will grant you that.

That's not really an opinion, though, is it? That sounds more like someone stating an incorrect fact.

An opinion isn't necessarily based on fact.

Examples:  "I think that's the prettiest song I've ever heard."

"Your hair looks better blond."

If you can disprove an "opinion" by citing facts then it really isn't an opinion in the first place, IMO.

Respected Contributor

When the boards get overly snarly, I remind myself that it's a Shopping Channel forum.

Express yourself, don't think you know everything and have fun.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I wish we had the "ignore" feature again.  

@MoJoV

I had to create my own 'ignore list'.

Since my email acct. is always up in another tab when I'm online, I created a file in it and just glance at it if I need too.

There are only a few on it though, so I pretty much have them memorized.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I've got more to worry about

Haven't even gotten on Medicare Supplement yet just applied and it's already went up 3 times ! that means more to me then petty things to worry about.

Honored Contributor

IMO, discussing a subject doesn't necessarily mean you "worry about it".

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.