Super Contributor

Re: This animal was eating one of our rental houses (picture included)....

On 7/27/2014 Mistic said:

Thanks for the info on what to bait the cage with. Hopefully we don't have to go that route. I'm going to try the tennis ball thing too.

His name was FRITZ? LOL Oh no! I am not naming them. Giving them a name would mean Pets. I would be out in the backyard gathering hickory nuts for their food bowl. LOL

And what's wrong with that? Smiley Wink

No worse than when I would put out salt licks for the deer families.

Respected Contributor

Are you sure it is a he and there are no babies? We had one that had babies and took up in the yard. It is amazing to see how long those claws are.

I am glad he was able to fit in the witness protection program.

doxie

Respected Contributor

He was just doing what he was born to do! LOL. Glad you were able to relocate him.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

It must have been really eerie to hear all that noise under the house.

Esteemed Contributor

He looks so well fed I'd check your other rentals, too. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Feline Fine said:
On 7/27/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

My grandparents had a woodchuck that lived on their property. His name was Fritz.

He didn't come near the house. Just hung out at the edge of the lawn near the woods.

Aww... bless them for befriending him. 8)

They didn't feed him or anything. They just talked to him. My grandfather worked on his property a lot, and sometimes Fritz would come out and watch. I guess he liked the company. ...Fritz, that is. Smiley Happy

They had lots of wildlife on their property. Deer would come up to the back door and you could feed them apples or carrots. Lots of birds. The same starlings made their nest in their gravel driveway every year. Wild turkeys....even a black bear. The bear was a little scary...

Anyway, my grandparents just lived in harmony with nature. Of course, they never suffered any damage to their home, either. Except for the deer that ate all their plants! Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

I just looked up the difference between a groundhog and a woodchuck. They are one and the same! Largest member of the squirrel family.

Super Contributor

On 7/27/2014 elruth said:

I just looked up the difference between a groundhog and a woodchuck. They are one and the same! Largest member of the squirrel family.

Interesting Smiley Happy I didn't know that.

The tenants need to get some dogs. I'll bet that thing wouldn't stick around with dogs barking at him.

Honored Contributor

Same thing here! I could feel him chewing and digging. He looks just like that-I thought he was a groundhog. I just had the witness protection program here for raccoons. I'm not doing that again. Will just let the big guy chuck his way and when he comes out, board up the place he went in.

Super Contributor

Had a LOVELY family of gophers in N Pa.,,their children would come and perch up and look into our "low" front windows in the foyer. I'd hear the darlings chewing and gnawing under the front porch. Their parents were HUGE. Think I'd mentioned this long ago, but had caled the Ag Office and they said to throw moth balls under the porch. Well, I did and they came directly right out at me!!!!!!!!!!!