Esteemed Contributor

Re: This Will Become a Movie

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal 

the news article that I read says she had a match through Ancestrydna.com  to relatives of his and  by sorting it out that he lived  near Rochester NY . She then  obtained info/ employment  records  that he had worked at the Monroe Developmental Center  near Rochester NY facility and even wrote notes on her Mother's chart when he was asssigned  " to take care of her  " .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I first posted this story, I had not yet found the ABC article, which is the most complete.

I wonder why her father was not named in her lawsuit.

I'd also like to learn more about Magdalena. Who raised her?

Remember Law & Order SVU's Olivia searching for her father? I can't remember the details. There were many episodes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@skatting44  - So she knows who did it?  I thought she was actively looking?

@San Antonio Gal @She knows. She used her DNA and a DNA database, Ancestry, to find out who her father was by matching his relatives in the database. She's suing the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities, the state agency that oversees state-run facilities using New York state's new law which gives victims four years to take action. Her mother was so severely mentally handicapped with the mental age of a two year old (she was 30), that she was non verbal, wore diapers had no self help skills and could not have legally given any type of consent. When the incident occurred in 1986 the facility promised to fully investigate and find out who was responsible. They never took any such action. The father had worked at the facility. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There was an episode similar to this situation on the original Law and Order television show.  A woman who was left with severe brain damage after a car accident became pregnant in a care facility.  Her caretaker was arrested and it was later found out that the woman's mother paid him to impregnate her daughter because she wanted grandchildren.  At the end the caretaker faced less severe charges and the mother was arrested and charged for the incident.  The episode ended with the caretaker suing for custody of the baby.  I don't know if it is a true story but I am sure they got the storyline from reading about actual cases.

Honored Contributor

I just read that the place suggested BIRTH CONTROL for the mother. Can you believe it? Like she would wheel herself around the place looking for a man?? She has the sense of a little child. I think they said 3 years old. Totally incapacitated. Maybe she sneaks out at night and hangs around on street corners??? What's wrong with people? And they worked in a place to help  people??? This all makes me ill. Lock them up. Whoever they were.

Super Contributor

To each his/her own, but I would not be interested at all.
Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I just read that the place suggested BIRTH CONTROL for the mother. Can you believe it? Like she would wheel herself around the place looking for a man?? She has the sense of a little child. I think they said 3 years old. Totally incapacitated. Maybe she sneaks out at night and hangs around on street corners??? What's wrong with people? And they worked in a place to help  people??? This all makes me ill. Lock them up. Whoever they were.

@Judaline  @PickyPicky3 

I read another article about this earlier today.  The recommendation in that woman's file is actually a smoking gun .... it shows they wanted to avoid further problems with any subsequent rapes, instead of protecting the residents!   

An obvious cover-up.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Judaline  @PickyPicky3 

I read another article about this earlier today.  The recommendation in that woman's file is actually a smoking gun .... it shows they wanted to avoid further problems with any subsequent rapes, instead of protecting the residents!   

An obvious cover-up.  

Yeah, what's that old saying, 'make it easy on yourself?'

Respected Contributor

Oh boy. This story has brought up a long-forgotten memory. Not a good one.

In 1975 I was in Pennsylvania Hospital (founded in 1751 by Benjamin Franklin!) for some diagnostic work. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling very ill with chills and rang for the nurse.

A male nurse came in and asked what was wrong. I told him. Did he take my temperature or blood pressure?

No. He sat down on my bed and asked me about my sexual preferences. He also wanted to know if I believed people of different ethnic groups or races have different sexual needs.

I didn't say a word (I was too sick to respond). And I was too scared to ever tell anyone what had happened.

Now, almost 50 years later, I'm sure I made the right decision. Silence kept me safe. I never saw him again.

I wonder what he wrote in his notes.

Respected Contributor

New York Magazine yesterday published an article that fills in many details. Magdalena is not including her father in her lawsuit because she feels it would violate her religious belief about forgiveness and honoring parents.