Honored Contributor

Re: This Ought to be Interesting

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@goldensrbest. Probable because they know there's more than they can handle.  Let the merchants be the bad guys.  Wonder if they're going to bite the hand that feeds them, namely Amazon?

@Kachina624 

Amazon has its own fleet of trucks and vans and they hire independent contractors too....so apparently UPS, Fed Ex and USPS are minor players in their mix and wont be in the future---there's even a commercial where Amazon brags about how they bought 100,000- electric powered trucks to do their part to protect the environment...prototypes start rolling out in 2021-2024...🙄 

(I loved reading this, a lot of deliveries are in rural areas, and they dont know how the electric trucks would work, since it couldnt complete a trip on one charge and where they would recharge remains an issue. )

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why,and i wonder what are the names?

@goldensrbest 

Follow the money, because if they had to hire more drivers and buy more trucks it cuts into their profits....they could charge the merchants more, but then they'd balk and start delivering on their own too like Amazon is doing...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@goldensrbest. Probable because they know there's more than they can handle.  Let the merchants be the bad guys.  Wonder if they're going to bite the hand that feeds them, namely Amazon?

I don't think it pertains to Amazon because they have their own drivers. I don't think I've ever had anything from Amazon delivered by UPS.

Everything I get is USPS from Amazon, and always in 1 0r 2 days. It's wonderful.

Honored Contributor

From the Washington Post earlier this morning:

United Parcel Service Inc. is temporarily restricting some packages it takes from big retailers such as Nike Inc., Gap Inc. and L.L. Bean Inc. as online orders spur record deliveries ahead of the holidays.

The courier told its drivers to limit pickups of parcels from those retailers and three others, according to an internal memo seen by Bloomberg News. The restrictions apply to packages that surpass volumes that were previously negotiated between UPS and the shippers, according to a person familiar with the matter.

UPS said it’s steering large customers to ship on days when volume isn’t as heavy, such as weekends, and encouraging retailers to coordinate their promotions with days when there’s more shipping capacity. The company said it negotiated holiday volume agreements with large retailers ahead of peak season to allow its network to also serve small- and medium-size businesses.

“We’ve worked with our large retail customers to ensure they are aware of how much capacity is available to them,” UPS said in a statement. “If demand exceeds planned allocations, we will work with our larger customers to ensure the volume gets picked up and delivered as more capacity becomes available in our network.”

This holiday season will be a record for package deliveries by far as concern over the virus spurs shoppers to avoid stores and buy online. This week, following Black Friday and Cyber Monday, is one of the heaviest shipping periods. Volume tends to taper off a bit before ramping back up into a rush before Dec. 25. To manage the onslaught, UPS and FedEx applied peak-season surcharges for its largest customers that kick in with volume spikes.

Retailers, faced with shipping capacity constraints, are offering alternatives to online consumers. Macy’s Inc. is using the food delivery service DoorDash Inc. for same-day shipping while giving customers the options of picking up online purchases themselves either curbside or in the store. Gap and L.L. Bean, which were named in the memo to UPS drivers, said packages were still being delivered amid heavy volume.

“UPS continues to be a great partner and while there have been some delays, primarily at a few of our retail stores, they are actively picking up packages from our warehouse facility and our retail locations daily,” L.L. Bean said in a statement.

Gap, meanwhile, said it’s “very happy with the performance of our parcel delivery network” amid the high demand. The company said in an email it worked with carriers to build a strategy that includes picking up merchandise from stores for delivery.

“We have been very satisfied with the level of partnership and commitment we have received from our carrier base, and especially that of UPS, and expect that to continue through the holiday season,” the company said.

Although under pressure from heavy package volume, the parcel network so far is holding up well, said Satish Jindel, president and founder of ShipMatrix, which gathers data on the shipping industry. UPS’s on-time delivery rate was 96.9% in the third week of November, the latest week for which data is available, and FedEx was at 96.6%, according to ShipMatrix.

But risks remain for the retail industry. With even smaller regional couriers working at capacity, there are few alternatives for parcel delivery when retailers exceed their volume agreements, said John Haber, CEO and founder of Spend Management Experts, a consultancy that helps shippers manage delivery costs. There’s a risk that packages will pile up and couriers won’t be able to catch up, he said.

“People are scrambling right now. There are people who haven’t had pickups in a couple of days,” Haber said. “For some of these retailers, that’s not a good scenario.”

The shipping restrictions were earlier reported by the Wall Street Journal.

Valued Contributor

Sometimes around here they use Uhall or other contracted out companies like Penske.Got Amazon order one morning by regular car with blinking light @ 630a.m.Wonder if it was a rural carrier working extra.

They just opened an Amazon store in Raleigh. Saw lots of their vans headed out on interstate but haven't seen any in our area yet.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624   @

The Companies are :

Squawk

Gap

Macys

Nike

LLBean

Hot Topic

Newegg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Wow.    Well, I guess the most secure job in America is being a UPS Delivery Person.    I wonder if they hire short term drivers for the season?

Yesterday I was expecting a refrigerated package that comes on a quarterly basis.  Lots of confirmations and tracking information comes with these, and most are delivered by 10:15am ... the drivers don't want to get stuck with something perishable and expensive, so it's usually at the top of their list for delivery.   Last night it was finally delivered at 7:12pm.

These people are REALLY BUSY .........

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44.  UPS always hires thousands of temporary workers but I'd imagine they're somewhat limited by t h eir number of trucks available.  The Temps ride with regular drivers and do the actual delivery.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I just had a package delivered by UPS and he was driving a U-Haul rental truck! 

Honored Contributor

I saw that on the local news, they named the retailers. Macy's is the only one I remember.  It's a good thing that UPS is doing this, they can't had all the business that is coming their way and rather than delivering packages late and forcing the drivers to work 16 hour days, they are being proactive.  They told the affected retailers, they had plenty of time to split their deliverys between USPS, FEDEX and DSL.  UPS is not the only game in town.