Honored Contributor

Re: This Ought to be Interesting

@froggy.  I think Az. Is full of UPS terminals.  All my packages coming from the North, go through Tolleson except for the ones that get misdirected to one of several Phoenix area locations.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

@Kachina624  In my area almost all of my Amazon purchases are now delivered by little brown Amazon trucks. They are wonderful- I get my package within 48 hours of ordering, and it is usually delivered in the morning. And they also deliver on Saturdays and Sundays. I don't think they are as dependent on UPS as they used to be.

i live in a big city with a few amazon warehouses.

my amazon packages are delivered equally by amazon, usps, and ups. it is becoming more rare that i actually get a package in two days or less. it is also rare that when amazon is delivering that it is in a little brown truck......more often it is a rental truck or personal transportation that the drivers are in.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Working from home with an "office" window facing a residential street, it's become almost comical how many delivery trucks pass by throughout the day.  Today I noted a UPS truck offloading some packages into a normal vehicle with UPS logo on door.  Neighbor's porch not even visible after deliveries today.  We have to laugh at continuous parade of activity.  Amazon uses their trucks here as well as unlabeled.  Porches might become huge asset to home buying!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@froggy.  I think Az. Is full of UPS terminals.  All my packages coming from the North, go through Tolleson except for the ones that get misdirected to one of several Phoenix area locations.

I've noticed that too. Tolleson always seems to be a stopping place for my packages too. 

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@goldensrbest. Probable because they know there's more than they can handle.  Let the merchants be the bad guys.  Wonder if they're going to bite the hand that feeds them, namely Amazon?

I don't think it pertains to Amazon because they have their own drivers. I don't think I've ever had anything from Amazon delivered by UPS.

Most of my items from AMZ are delivered by UPS.  This year AMZ has started their own drivers delivering and it has been better.  AMZ has not always made their own deliveries. 

I might add I live near one of the largest cities in America.

Honored Contributor

My Amazon packages are delivered by Amazon, UPS, or USPS.  They arrive typically in a day or two.  I've even had one recent order arrive the same day.  

Honored Contributor

The Hill and Wall Street Journal both have articles stating the names of some of the retailers.  44% jump in online sales over the Thanksgiving period.  UPS says the "temporary" restrictions is to maintain their high standards.  Will add more as time goes by if possible. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I view it as another example of limitations and restrictions being placed on when and how things are going to be run and done.

Respected Contributor

If you read the coverage on The Hill, it's clear that Amazon is not part of the six.

"'We are pleased with the way the UPS network is performing as we exit the Thanksgiving holiday and move into the month of December, delivering record volume,' the emailed statement added. 'UPS continues to work closely with our largest customers to steer volume to capacity and ensure the UPS network is reliable for all customers.' 

“'This collaboration includes specific capacity allocations last weekend and throughout the holiday season,' the spokesperson continued. 'We’ve worked with our large retail customers to ensure they are aware of how much capacity is available to them.'” 

Not just big guns:

"UPS added in its statement to The Hill that the company 'is committed to maintaining the reliability of its network for other customers, including small- and medium-sized businesses, which have been hit hardest during the pandemic and are also seeing an increase in holiday volume.' 

“'The network capacity for our SMB [small- and medium-sized business] customers must also remain strong to help the recovery of this vital part of the economy,'” the statement said."

And it doesn't appear to be a "cap" on shipments from the six retailers, who were named as Nike, LL Bean, Hot Topic, Newegg, Gap, and Macy's. It appears they've been blacklisted:

"UPS has reportedly told drivers across the country to stop picking up packages from six retailers, including Gap, Nike and Macy’s, as the shipping company attempts to keep up with a record-breaking online shopping season amid the coronavirus pandemic." 

'No exceptions,' the message reportedly said." [Refers to an internal UPS message obtained by the Wall Street Journal.]

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Thankfully I live near Amazon distribution centers and 99% of my Amazon purchases are delivered in their trucks. 

Same.  Their blue vans are on my street multiple times a day. 

Yesterday i ordered some coffee pods and they arrived in 4 hours.  Crazy.