Respected Contributor

Re: This May Amaze Some of You....

I was born and raised in Indianapolis. School started after Labor Day in the 1950s and 60s.  We went shopping for school clothes (dresses back then) in August. I remember being so anxious to wear my new clothes when school started, and roasting in them because it was still very warm outside 

Harmonize the World
Trusted Contributor

The entire time I taught we always started in August. When I went to admin I had to work all year except got the month of July off.  I think everyone's calendars are wonky this year due to last year being so different. DISD is having three different school calendars this year. Should be chaos. Back in the olden days when I was a student, we always started right after Labor Day and ended The Friday before Memorial Day. That was pretty standard back then. 

Trusted Contributor

My district only got the day before and after Thanksgiving off until I retired. Now they get the whole week off. Dang it! 

Honored Contributor

Ours started yesterday (Wed.).  Several years ago they changed from 2 Semesters to a Quarter system with a break between each quarter.  I am soooo glad they didn't do it when my daughter was in school.  Her grades always dropped the first report card after Christmas break.  I would hate to have to deal with 4 breaks every school year instead of the 2.  

Esteemed Contributor

My Granddaughter goes back Aug 17th...but she is going to a new School that has air conditioning. My daughter moved her because of a bullying problem at her old School.

Back in the olden days, we always went back the day after Labor Day.

Honored Contributor

I think here it's still after Labor Day.  School's w/o a.c.  in Aug. heat, must be unbearable.  Especially in NM.

Esteemed Contributor

Morning @Kachina624 - some of our schools already started and others start next week. Already in one of the districts there are 5 cases of covid - 4 students and 1 teacher.

I grew up in NJ and we did not start until after Labor Day. This is also when my granddaughters start in NY.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 

Schools started in NOLA on Monday.  Here in the suburbs it will be another week or so.  When I was growing up here in the 50s and 60s, school started on the Monday after Labor Day.  The start date has been creeping back for decades.  My kids started in late August, and now it's the beginning of August.  I think all of the buildings are air conditioned.

Although they start earlier, there are not really more days of school because there are much longer breaks for various holidays.  I'm assuming that's why they have to start so early.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

At one time Michigan passed a law that school couldn't start until after Labor Day.  Had to get the last bit of money out of our heavy tourist population.  I honestly don't know if that is still in effect or not.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is a school that started 2 weeks ago in South Carolina.

Most schools have started before Labor Day for 30 plus years.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)