Honored Contributor

Re: This Is the Age When You Become 'Old,' According to Four Different Generations

@millieshops  I am 72 and have lost several people in my life in the last 2 years, some older, some younger, some much younger.  I hope you can get your contest out of your mind, not a good thing to be contemplating.  Good Luck.

I still think the article is assinine and totally worthless. Smiley Very Happy

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: This Is the Age When You Become 'Old,' According to Four Different Generations

I know sociologists are having a field day with all these generational designations, but personally, I'm kind of tired of hearing about them...  That said, as far as this age designation thing goes, I (gasp) am actually agreeing with the Millennials (another first)... Everyone else is just fooling themselves... Age is not just a state of mind and saying one is "sixty years young" deserves an oxymoron alert...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally disagree with those "prime" numbers. Should be closer to 30, not much after that when you consider all the different components that makeup prime life.

Valued Contributor

I'm a Gen-Xer ... I thought the dirty 30s was my best decade

• You're not elderly old until age 85
  • 80 is the new 65
  • 70 is the new 55
  • 50 is the new 40
  • 40 is the new 30
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I know sociologists are having a field day with all these generational designations, but personally, I'm kind of tired of hearing about them...  That said, as far as this age designation thing goes, I (gasp) am actually agreeing with the Millennials (another first)... Everyone else is just fooling themselves... Age is not just a state of mind and saying one is "sixty years young" deserves an oxymoron alert...

SO very true!  And anyway, it is a blessing to live to be old; nothing to be ashamed of.  I would rather deal with my age throughout my life and get done what I want to get done than wake up old and think about what I might have done. 

I don't understand people not wanting to admit they are old.  Nothing at all wrong with it.

Valued Contributor

@lolakimono Geez I thought I was GenX but according to this survey I'm a Baby Boomer.

Old?? To me you become old at 102. The age my grandmother passed on. And a month before she passed away, she was called for jury duty. The courts didn't think she was old.Woman Happy

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

Boomer here and I know OLD is truly based on how you feel and your attitude.  

HOWEVER,  if I had to put a number on it though,  OLD to me is 80!!!  

I'm surrounded by so many people in their 60s and 70s who have a younger spirit than people half their age. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting @lolakimono! It was interesting. I went to a two-day seminar about millenials about a year and a half ago. The expert presenting gave the ages then as 18-35. So now they would be 20-37 (I guess). I find the ages do fluctuate a lot, but they are fun to study! I'm around them all of the time, and now the generation after that (Gen Y? I'm not really sure what they're called.) Most of the time I just try not to roll my eyes when talking with millenials about a serious topic! The can be so funny! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Why is it called The Silent Generation?  Just curious - I'm a member and sure don't remember being Silent.  Does anyone know where the name came from?

Respected Contributor

Addition to my post.  I always thought I was a baby boomer til I read this article.  I'm on the cusp.