Honored Contributor

Re: This Has GOT To Be A Scam!!

@CalminHeart , I don't think my password was used.  It was my routing number that was used.  Must have been stolen from tax preparer's list of customers.  The money got into my account the same way stimulus money gets into it.  Remember how a lot of stimulus checks were delayed because the irs didn't have the account info?  Or anything you pay over the phone by check using your account and routing number.  They don't need your password.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

My DH and I rec'd a refund a couple weeks ago for the tax we paid on unemployment benefits. We filed before the government decided unemployment benefits weren't subject to tax for the 2020 tax year.  

Trying to call the IRS is a nightmare.  You can go to the website and create an account, look at your tax transcript and see exactly what the refund was for.  Or if you don't want to do that, you will get a letter in the mail from the IRS.

Our money was refunded and then a day or 2 later we received a letter stating what the refund was for.  

Valued Contributor

I would look into it right now.  It could have been deposited in your account in error but, if not, better to notify/inquire of the bank/IRS sooner than later and have peace of mind.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva , I went to the bank this morning to find out if I needed to get a new account number for my account and they said no, this was a legitimate IRS direct deposit that came through the proper channels.  

So I came home and tried my darnest to over ride all of those prompts that you get when you call them because none of the questions asked were about erroneous direct deposits.  I needed a live person.  I'm resigned to the fact that the only way you get a live person is to respond to a letter  they send you.  Frustration set in so I'll call again another day.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie  you might receive a letter before you can get a live person lol.

Keep on trying, it might be your lucky day.

Respected Contributor

Why the heck don't you call your bank and ask them about the deposit.  They can trace where it came from.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 , I did that yesterday before I played the "phone prompts" game with the irs.  None of the prompts fit my needs.

So at this point, the bank says the deposit is legit.  The IRS seems to not want to talk to people.

I'm  going to sit tight while I research a want to talk to a real person at the IRS.  Maybe a letter is coming.  After going to the bank, at least my nerves have calmed down.  The deposit will stay in the account and the IRS can take it whenever they realize the error.

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie   I think that you have done everything that you need to do. If you don't receive a letter in a few weeks and this still worries you go to the IRS website and create an account and look at your tax returns and see if you can determine why you received this money. It is pretty near impossible to get a live person on the phone when you call the IRS. I would not assume that this is an error. There may have been a mistake on your tax return and  you are entitled to this money. If not like you said it is in your account and when the IRS comes calling they can take it back.