Super Contributor

Re: This Has GOT To Be A Scam!!

This past Saturday I found that a $2600 deposit was made to my checking account.  I messaged the bank asking for additional information.  On Monday afternoon I heard back from the bank telling me the deposit had been made in error and thanking me for letting them know.  I would contact the bank, initially -- its easier than trying to reach a live person at the IRS.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm , was this a deposit that was claiming to be from the IRS, though?  Because a direct deposit from them would show it as IRS Ref.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The IRS has begun to send supplemental refund checks to tax payers who paid too much on unemployment compensation tax last year.

The American Rescue Plan Act authorized changes to the law that excluded up to $10,200 in unemployment compensation for 2020. The law didn't take effect until March 11, so some Americans that filed taxes early have now overpaid. For the most part, 

the IRS said it will automatically correct those tax returns and issue refund accordingly.

If you didn't collect unemployment, than you have received the payment in error. This is what that code means on your bank account.

Honored Contributor

Don’t be surprised if you can’t get through to the IRS.
It’s probably legit. Whether or not it’s an error, I don’t know.
They are so far behind it could be awhile before you get the letter in the mail - it often comes afterward.
Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie I'm pretty sure it's not a scam.  It's either a legitimate IRS payment or an IRS mistake.  With all of the recent tax benefits, it's probably legitimate.

Honored Contributor

Humph!  Must be nice.  I'm about to send the IRS another $5,500.

This is the 3rd time this year.  I have one more to send in January 2022.

These are estimated payments.

Sometimes I get tired of paying taxes.  It would be nice to get a refund.

Honored Contributor

Lol...but @Annabellethecat66, that's the price for you being rich.  I wish I had your problem.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie   Yes, it was coded 310. Still waiting to hear about it.

Honored Contributor

I had a mysterious deposit from the IRS to my checking account, the same one they send tax refunds to. I called the IRS and they explained what it was. I received a letter of explanation 4 weeks later.

Just call the IRS and change the password on your bank account.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Why not just call the IRS now?

Then you'll no longer be wondering.

Just cut the suspense and just call them.

@Anonymous032819   I agree.  Also call the bank or go in person if possible and get the password changed.

If something was off on our accounts we would be on it like a duck on a June bug.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh