Super Contributor

This 1891 Queen Anne in Riverside, CA, can be yours for $0..............

IF........you can move it!

exterior with lots of original details, save this old house queen anne riverside california

Price: $0 (must be moved)

The History: In the mid-1880s, dry-goods merchant William Sweatt left rural Iowa to seek his fortune. He headed west, settling in Riverside, where he found success early, serving as the director of a bank and then opening a furniture business. This lavish Queen Anne, which he built with his wife, Nettie, in 1891, was to serve as a testament to just how far he'd come in the few short years since leaving home. Sadly, the good times didn't last; Sweatt's business collapsed in 1894, and he and Nettie divorced in 1897. Left alone in the 4,878-square-foot house, she divided it into apartments before moving to Los Angeles in 1902. Since then, the house has had over a dozen owners. In 2008, the city bought it so that it could be relocated and restored. But the city failed to find the funds to move the house and decided to offer the place to anyone willing to move it within Riverside, which would allow a local college to expand onto the lot.

Shown: The five-bedroom, four-bath house has a detailed exterior with decorative clapboard siding, a turret, and patterned brick chimneys.

Respected Contributor

Re: This 1891 Queen Anne in Riverside, CA, can be yours for $0..............

Norman Bates is looking out that window.

Respected Contributor

that is ONE BEAUTIFUL home...........I sure hope somebody moves it......................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

That it a beautiful home. I hope someone can save it.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

I'd love to be young again and have a lot of money....I always wanted to own and renovate a beautiful home like this. Now just what dreams are made of....

Esteemed Contributor

I wish. I love houses like that. Sighs.

I have a cousin in Riverside. Wonder if she wants it. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

It is beautiful and I love that porch, but I bet it would cost alot not only to move it but also to restore it.

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2014 Predsfan said:

i hope someone saves it,too! it would be a great project for nicole curtis - but she is in detroit!

Esteemed Contributor

We have a replica of that house right here in Do Dah (The Land of Oz).

It's in what is now a pretty crummy neighborhood and has been divided into apartments.

In it's prime, it and others in that area were for the ultra rich (at the time anyway). The neighborhood was at that time, brick streets and real gas lamps. A select few of those homes have been restored and declared landmarks.

ETA We also have a couple of houses here that were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 3/12/2014 shesallthat said:
On 3/12/2014 Predsfan said:

i hope someone saves it,too! it would be a great project for nicole curtis - but she is in detroit!

She needs to relocate. Smile That could be an awesome home again. I'm like both kitties, a dream project.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."