Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thirsty Squirrel in the Grand Canyon!

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom:  While this is "cute" it is interfering with nature.  These animals (not just squirrels) are in the long run harmed by feeding/watering them.  As an example in the Southwest there are bears that wander into habituated areas to forage (putting themselves and humans at risk of harm or death).  Last week a bear near Phoenix was put down for coming into an inhabited area twice in a week.  Last year a lady in my mountain community was walking her dog and got mauled by a hungry bear near the dumpsters.

Honored Contributor

It can be a tough judgment call, @patbz, that's for sure.   I don't know the best answer, since there are times we can and probably should step in to benefit wildlife but it's also can be a danger to all involved.   I've been watching some shows on "Animal Planet" in which they follow game and fish wardens, and I've learned an enormous amount.   Sometimes human intervention is beneficial, other times not so much.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@patbz

I'm sorry but I find NO comparison between feeding bears, alligators, or other dangerous wildlife to giving a thirsty squirrel water.

That's comparing apples to oranges.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

So cute...Thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

I have a young squirrel that I feed peanut butter crackers and corn. His mama didn't make it across the road last week. ugh. He's cute but...I did catch him trying to raid the cardinals nest a few days ago. Quite a ruckus and the birds were dive bombing him. Hopefully, he learned to quit it.