Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of cutting cable tv cord

@Spurt.  I think most of those fees have to do with your telephone service, not cable or satellite.  If you don't have cable or satellite, naturally they wouldn't attach fees for those services.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Spurt I just dug my bill out of my to-be-shredded pile.  

My bill is not broken down that way.  It gives me a previous balance, current balance, and the date.

I would just check with your internet service provider.  There seems to be some variation by state.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt.  I think most of those fees have to do with your telephone service, not cable or satellite.  If you don't have cable or satellite, naturally they wouldn't attach fees for those services.

@Kachina624 @Spurt  Our phone service is not through cable, but we still get all of the fees every month.

Honored Contributor

I so want to cut cable.  I don't watch the majority of the stations, and it irks me that there are so many Asian and Latino channels which I have to pay for, but don't watch.  Comcast won't do a personalized bundle.

I probably use no more than twenty channels, and the bill is $159 a month, until they raise it again, and we have to get on the phone and wrangle

for a lower price.  I think our internet through cable is $99, don't know if that is considered high or not, but seems high to me.  Of course, we have to pay for each box we have for the tvs here every month.

Super Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Oostende @IAmAWinner @zanna @Kachina624

This is something that no one has been able to answer for me regarding cutting the cord......

It seems that a BIG CHUNK of my cable bill ) is for additional fees and surcharges imposed by cities and counties under the Cable Communications Act .......

So when you go cordless are these fees/surcharges still added to your bill? This is what no one will answer for me...

If thats the case if more and more people cut the cord, the cities and counties will start imposing the same fees as they did cable companies....Just like taxes werent charged on internet sales in some states, but now they are all starting to impose taxes....Just curious...

@Spurt  I'm on Google Fiber and have been paying $159.05 monthly.  $150 included Fiber 100 (100 mbps w/dual band wifi) = $50,  plus phone = $10 and tv = $90.  Extra charges have remained the same:  Gov't taxes & fees $7.74, surcharges & other $1.31. for a total of $9.05, or about 6%.  Not a big chunk at all.  I live in Charlotte, NC, and I'm sure the extras vary by city and state.  I haven't received a bill yet for just Fiber 100 and phone ($60 total) but I expect the extras to stay at the same percentage.  By the way, I have been getting along fine with 100 mbps.  For some reason, I have had some disruption with Hulu only and I had to reset my network box.  Not a big deal.

Trusted Contributor

@mistyada wrote:

@traveler We cut the cord over 3 years ago. Now we use apps or services like Netflix. I do suggest you buy a Roku, Apple TV or Amazon fire. Those allow you to stream on your TV. We are pleased with our Roku. 

Do you get any network stations?

Trusted Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

I think it's better to renegotiate your price.  I find cable to be the most reliable.  

OMG-me too-the most perfect picture! and yes-reliable-I have Roku in my bedroom-that's enough!

Respected Contributor

i have never had cable.  so no cutting here.

but i did cut landline phone in 2001

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

Tried to negotiate our outrageous cable bill charges....no luck. Have wondered about the new "smart antenna" ads that have popped up recently...anyone used those?
Contributor

@Spurt   The answer to that question is a grateful NO.  I couldn't stand the fact that with cable we were charged unbelievable surcharges, fees, and taxes coupled with the high cost and an outage every other week.  With internet only service and/or streaming channels (not purchased from the cable company) there are no taxes, fees or surcharges.  I hope that was helpful.