Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking of cutting cable tv cord

@doxie1 wrote:

@traveler

Consumer Reports has a magazine on the racks now that goes into good detail about this.  I would like to cut this expense.

doxie

Here it is online, @traveler and everyone - go for it!

https://www.consumerreports.org/streaming-media-players-services/cord-cutting-guide/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler

@Nataliesgramma  makes a great point you are going to need a SUPER SPEED internet system....so consider that cost. 

Also you are going to have prioritze what channels are important to you......And if you dont bundle and just go with internet service when you debundle that price goes up

Sure Slingo and others advertise a low fee, but to get the channels you want you have to go up to another tier or two which is a higher cost....then the cost to add Netflix, Hulu. Roku....And with Amazon Firestick you have pay for Amazon Prime which is going up to $119 a year.....

Also check to see if your local channels are included in these packages, if not you may have to buy an antenna

This tool may help you determine if its really worth it. simple to use....

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2015/01/should_i_cut_the_cable_cord_decide_on_stream...

To get the channels I wanted it would have cost me $31 more a month than cable to go alternative.....(the only "extras" I wanted were TCM, HGTV, Food Network, Gameshow Network, Hallmark Mysteries & Movies, NFL Network, NBA Network, Antenna TV, Memorable TV (ME TV)......local channels.....TNT (for NBA games).....Fox Sports 1.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@traveler If you get an antenna, you will be able to get your local channels. With our antenna we get about 40 channels. Some of the local channels include QVC, HSN and Evine too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler

I cut cable years ago. I’ve got Roku and Fire TV Stick but I confess that I rarely use Roku since getting the Fire Stick. I have had Amazon Prime for a few years it is is great for streaming all sorts of things. I recently added Hulu and enjoy it, too. 

I love streaming and don’t ever want to go back to cable and network scheduling for watching. 

Honored Contributor

I did . I missed it at first It's been a few years now.

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50Also, I watch all my cable shows using  my DVR.  How does that apply to all these streaming services and other alternatives to cable???

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did it 2 weeks ago after much deliberation.  Now I wish I had done it sooner!!   I bought the Amazon Fire TV when it was the TSV after reading tons of info online.  Once I got it home and proved to myself that it would work for me (no problem, couldn't be easier), I signed up for the Hulu and Sling free trials.  I'm a Prime member, so I got Prime Music and Video automatically with the Fire TV.  Also getting youtube for free (not youtube tv). My son shared his Netflix with me, so no cost there.  First thing I did was watch a couple of my all-time fav movies, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I like a lot of PBS channels, so just got an indoor antenna that was highly recommended (Mojo Leaf 30, Indoor, 30 mile range) for $40 from Amazon.  Easy install, just had to experiment a bit with placement to receive the best signal.  (I ended up hanging it on the wall behind my entertainment center.  Hanging it on a window worked best, but looked too tacky for me.)  That got me 20+ channels, including all local news, 3 PBS channels, ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.

It's one of the best moves I've made in recent years!!  Don't miss all the garbage channels I was paying $90/mo for.  Now just $50/mo for internet & wireless.  Will probably keep Hulu @$11.99/mo, don't care for Sling.  Frankly, I am enjoying Amazon Prime Music so much, I'm watching less tv.  So much music to choose from, and it comes with my Prime membership!  Actually sleeping better, probably due to less tv, more relaxation.

Go for it!

Contributor

@kaydee50   Not trying to change your mind or anything close to that I would just like to say that the Roku is a one-time purchase ($50 for the stick but a sale is always popping up for $35) whereas cable is an ongoing pay every month thing.  Just sayin'.  But you rock-on with your cable and enjoy yourself!  Have a great weekend.

Valued Contributor

I ditched cable years ago.  We've had high speed internet in my area for a long time.  You need to know how fast your connection is and you need a large data allowance because video eats a lot of bandwidth.  My connection costs me 80 bucks a month which is 30 bucks over the minimum cost.  I could probably get by with a 50 dollar connection but I like the extra speed and data allowance.

I pay about 20 bucks a month for Prime and Netflix.

It's easy to order new releases, or anything else I want, and store them in my Prime library.  It's a lot easier than storing DVDs.  It's cheaper and faster, too.  You can also order entire seasons of TV shows, if that's your thing.

I like the Roku platform for streaming.  It's easy to learn and operate.  Pandora and YouTube are on there, and so are many others, including QVC.

I get my local news from the antennae.  Or I could.  Honestly, I just get my local news online or from my newspaper.    

I like SkyNews for streaming news, but they are a U.K. outlet, so their content is geared more toward Europe.  Again, I read online mostly.

There are two holes in the programming and they are the talking head cable news shows and professional sports.  If you can't live without those, keep cable.  Come to think of it, that would also go for HGTV, the Food Network, etc.

I don't watch a lot of TV.  I dislike the cable format.  I don't care for commercials and I can find superior content on the internet or via Netflix and Prime or YouTube.  YouTube is probably my favorite.  There is a staggering amount of content there.

Anyway, good luck.  

Honored Contributor

@Oostende @IAmAWinner @zanna @Kachina624

This is something that no one has been able to answer for me regarding cutting the cord......

It seems that a BIG CHUNK of my cable bill ) is for additional fees and surcharges imposed by cities and counties under the Cable Communications Act .......

So when you go cordless are these fees/surcharges still added to your bill? This is what no one will answer for me...

If thats the case if more and more people cut the cord, the cities and counties will start imposing the same fees as they did cable companies....Just like taxes werent charged on internet sales in some states, but now they are all starting to impose taxes....Just curious...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”