Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinking of all that died on this day

@twinsister wrote:

We must never forget!!  I was at work that day and my building was across the street from the WTC.  Of all the horrible things I saw during the attacks, there is one image that is forever etched in my mind.  I saw a man in a gray suit jump from the 100th floor.  To this day, I can still see so clearly his free falling to the ground.  May he and all those who died rest in peace.  

@twinsister   So glad you are okay.  That was the first pic I saw, too......awful!!

Respected Contributor

9/11 is a haunting day.

Those of us who witnessed it in person will never ever forget it.

I saw those towers be built and I was there when they fell.

In 93 when they were first attacked. Even after 93 they suspected and knew there would be another try.

The saying you can never go home again is so so true. Will not go to the museum it is too painful. Can not go back to the fountains. I look at the Freedom Tower and see one building and I only feel hurt and death.

South Tower 98th floor.

It is so painful.

Whenever I see any policeman or fireman I feel such appreciation and gratitude. They tried so hard and never waived. Their faces showed the pain but forward they went without turning back. So brave. Those dogs climbed and sniffed and were heros too.

So many helped. So many died.

It was on that day this country changed. It was a warning we would be attacked more and more again. 9/11 was yesterday, today it is on the ground.

Bless the USA

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A New York colleague lived (and still lives) in Breezy Point, NY.   His community suffered heavy losses -- so heavy that the people of Breezy Point erected a memorial to their fallen.

PENTAX K-500  Photo

Ten years after 9/11, a kind of memory industry hums along in Rockaway.

The peninsula suffered one of the nation's most concentrated losses when the terrorist attacks scythed through generations of firefighters and Wall Street traders in the largely Irish-Catholic neighborhoods here. Fifty-nine people from Rockaway died; about 70 counting summer and former residents. One enclave, Breezy Point, lost 32 of its 5,000 people. A proportional hit to New York City would have taken 51,000 lives.

Contributor

I remember vividly, just beyond horrible.  My mother and I  were watching it on television.  It was like watching something from a horror movie.  All those innocent people and brave first responders gone.  And the deaths that continue to follow from exposure.

Esteemed Contributor

I was at work on that day, about 250 miles away from NYC, where I was born and raised. My daughter and brother both worked in Manhattan. Our family spent hours trying to get through to them. From her office window, my daughter saw the towers fall. She tried to return to her job over the next several months but eventually changed jobs and moved away. My brother stayed in the city but is happy to be retired from the daily commute. I just wish the unity we shared just after 9/11 can be remembered, honored, and used to find common ground. We must stop demonizing those with whom we disagree.

Valued Contributor

Remembering all the victims & families of September 11th.

New York, Washington, D.C.,Pennsylvania
Honored Contributor

I saw a clip on today show, i think it was where george bush was at a school with kids ,some one came on the stage ,and whispered in his ear, the look on his face was shock ,like all of us.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

And never forget the brave souls who rushed into the buildings to help, and their love for our country!

@Sooner  - Yes! That is something else I won't forget seeing. When we ran out of our building, the fire engines were roaring past us.  We just stood there frozen in fear looking at them and they looked at us.  I remember that night thinking most of those brave men I saw that morning didn't make it out alive.

Woman Sad

Valued Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

9/11 is a haunting day.

Those of us who witnessed it in person will never ever forget it.

I saw those towers be built and I was there when they fell.

In 93 when they were first attacked. Even after 93 they suspected and knew there would be another try.

The saying you can never go home again is so so true. Will not go to the museum it is too painful. Can not go back to the fountains. I look at the Freedom Tower and see one building and I only feel hurt and death.

South Tower 98th floor.

It is so painful.

Whenever I see any policeman or fireman I feel such appreciation and gratitude. They tried so hard and never waived. Their faces showed the pain but forward they went without turning back. So brave. Those dogs climbed and sniffed and were heros too.

So many helped. So many died.

It was on that day this country changed. It was a warning we would be attacked more and more again. 9/11 was yesterday, today it is on the ground.

Bless the USA

YES!!!!!!!!! The precious dogs!!!!!!!! Woman Mad

Honored Contributor

On a much smaller scale was the Oklahoma City bombing and how many people were affected through the state.  I remember going to work soon after and every car had their headlights on.  

I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be when the planes hit and the towers fell.  It was horrible enough seeing it all on tv.  And the minute they said a plane had hit the building, you knew.  You just knew. . . Woman Sad