Respected Contributor

Re: Thinking aobut moving to North Carolina mountains...

We went to Asheville for a week in May and loved the area and spent some time in Hendersonville and loved that town a lot.  One question I have to ask myself is if I would want to live there if I was alone.  As long as my husband is alive it would not matter so much but if he goes first.....we really don't have much family so we are going to be alone no matter where we live unless we make friends. I really like a 55+ community because it is good when alone.  They usually have a singles group etc...There are just zillions of those kinds of communities in Florida where I don't want to live.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

We went to Asheville for a week in May and loved the area and spent some time in Hendersonville and loved that town a lot.  One question I have to ask myself is if I would want to live there if I was alone.  As long as my husband is alive it would not matter so much but if he goes first.....we really don't have much family so we are going to be alone no matter where we live unless we make friends. I really like a 55+ community because it is good when alone.  They usually have a singles group etc...There are just zillions of those kinds of communities in Florida where I don't want to live.

I know there is a 55+ Sun City in the Hilton Head area and one outside of Charlotte.  Perhaps you would enjoy that area more?

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

LOL, NC may not have "zillions" of 55+ communities but there are many throughout the state.    Once you decide on a location just search for active adult communities and you may be surprised how many there are right near where you want to locate.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

While a move to a new place is fun and exciting, it is a huge change from your current surroundings. My suggestion would be to rent a place for about 6 months which should include a good portion of the winter months. Things are very different when you live permanently as opposed to a vacation.
Respected Contributor

I left the suburbs and moved to the foothills of Virginia about 11 years ago at the age of 49.  I did so to be closer to my siblings when I moved my father in bc he was unable to live alone and I wanted to be near them for help with him.

Think things through carefully bc I absolutely loved it then and still do now; however, within 6 years of moving here I was diagnosed with cancer.  It didn't take long to realize that my medical options here were very limited so I drove 165 miles round trip to see a specific oncologist for treatment (lots of support of friends and family).  Dad died three years ago and I'm here in a large house, I have to drive 12 miles to a grocery store and the medical options here are still pretty limited.   So, now I'm ready to pull up stakes and move back to the burbs.  I'm 60 and I've been looking at an over 55 community.   This place was great when I was younger but as I age I now want/need to be closer to grocery, shopping, medical, etc and at this point my siblings have all moved.  The place I'm considering maintains two of the models that you can spend up to 3 nights (its about $80 per night) in one of them to get a feel for the place which I intend to take advantage. 

Respected Contributor

left the suburbs and moved to the foothills of Virginia about 11 years ago at the age of 49.  I did so to be closer to my siblings when I moved my father in bc he was unable to live alone and I wanted to be near them for help with him.

Think things through carefully bc I absolutely loved it then and still do now; however, within 6 years of moving here I was diagnosed with cancer.  It didn't take long to realize that my medical options here were very limited so I drove 165 miles round trip to see a specific oncologist for treatment (lots of support of friends and family).  Dad died three years ago and I'm here in a large house, I have to drive 12 miles to a grocery store and the medical options here are still pretty limited.   So, now I'm ready to pull up stakes and move back to the burbs.  I'm 60 and I've been looking at an over 55 community.   This place was great when I was younger but as I age I now want/need to be closer to grocery, shopping, medical, etc and at this point my siblings have all moved.  The place I'm considering maintains two of the models that you can spend up to 3 nights (its about $80 per night) in one of them to get a feel for the place which I intend to take advantage. 

I know exactly what you mean about the medical care.  My husband had cancer last year and it was everyday somewhere to go for treatment.  I definitely like the 55+ communities.  I am in one now.  The people here are not that friendly but still there are activities if you are alone.  If you don't mind what communiity are you looking at?