Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking aobut moving to North Carolina mountains...

My dh and I were discussing this morning...we live in the midwest...I would like (I think) to move somewhere warmer, he is not on board...yet!  We have a nice retirment but he also thinks we don't have enough to live on.  We are self employed and we both work at our business.  I think he is afraid of not having a working income.  He is 70+ I am 60, we are both in good health and still enjoy working. I guess time will tell, but I am afraid he will win this one.  OP, I hope that you find a location that you are happy with.

Trusted Contributor

151949, the site is lying about the temps. Every single time I've been there in the summer, it was in the high 80s and up. Unless it's a really cloudy day, it can easy tie for Atlanta. Mountains down here don't really mean cooler. It can even be hot in
October.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

Here's my advice.... do it!  I don't think you'll be sorry, especially if you've researched where you plan to go.

We moved across country about five years ago.  I was born and raised in So. Calif and spent all my life there.  DH and I decided to move to the Mid-West (most of DH relatives are up here, mine have passed).... We researched the town we planned to go to and decided to go for it.  We have NOT REGRETTED one moment of it, we absolutely love it here.  Neither of us mind the winters at all and we just love it!  Best "move" we ever made, no regrets!  

Very good luck to you.... remember the old addage... "a change is as good as a rest!"  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the information.  A lot to think about.  I have lived most of my life in Florida except for the wonderful 4 years in Tennessee.  I don't even swim so you can imagine how little the beach means to me.  I have enough age spots from the sun already without even laying out in it.  My dermatologist said the sun keeps him in business. I want so much to get out and walk but if you don't get out before 6.30 or 7 in the morning it is too hot.  We feel so trapped in the house from May to October.  All we do is go out to an airconditioned store or out to eat.  I guess we need a change.  North Carolina would not be so bad for us with taxes as our income is mostly federal government and that is not taxed.  However, talking about it is easy but actually doing a long distance move is so overwhelming.  I wish there were moving planners like wedding planners.  However, I probably could not afford one.

Trusted Contributor

Go for it ! Just don't get too isolated from your creature comforts and necessary areas. Also, make sure you have an extremely good 4-wheel drive vehicle and don't mind snow !

Don't go too high up  either and stay near the major interstate so you can travel to places around the county and state.

It's beautiful and you will love it !

Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@debc wrote:

You will never understand a single thing anyone says.   My BF's husband is from there and it took me 2 years to understand his accent. LOL

Sorry to you southerners.  Smiley Wink

debc

Well just OUCH!  The winkey doesn't help.

I'm a Southerner born and raised in NC.

I've traveled all over the world and anyone who speaks English understands me without  problem. 

He's from Black Mountain.  He said no one understood him in the area he lives in now.  Of course he's lost a lot of it over the years.  He told me once he tried to pick up a prescription and the pharmacist also had a very heavy accent.  Neither one understood the other and he left without getting what he wanted.

To OP, I would take several vacations there before making any decisions.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Occasional Contributor

I'm also in central NC and have been to Asheville numerous times over the years. It does get its fair share of snow most winters.  Contrary to what was said in an earlier post, Asheville can get quite hot and humid in the summer.  I just looked at this weeks forecast and it is in the upper 80's everyday this week.  It is a beautiful area, though, with friendly people. 

Two other areas of note:  Boone/Blowing Rock/Linville is about 85 miles northeast of Asheville in a beautiful mountainous region.  Blowing Rock is especially charming with its downtown shopping area. 

The Cashiers/Highlands area is soutwest of Asheville and is known for its fine homes.  Burt Reynolds and Loni Anderson once had a vacation home there.

I wish you the best whatever you decide.

Honored Contributor

I didn't invent what I wrote - I repeated what they said on the Ashville website.Clearly, they are liars.

Esteemed Contributor

Like everyone else in the Carolinas this summer, Asheville is hotter than usual this year.

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Check out Hendersonville - just outside of Asheville, but quieter and equally beautiful.  Had planned to retire there with first husband, now deceased.  Awesome area of the country - mountains are wonderful, and the fall colors are beyond belief. 

I have heard the same. I know several couples who have retired there. They don't complain about the snow...not sure they get much. They do get ice, though.