Honored Contributor

Re: Thinking ahead to Christmas

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@Othereeeen wrote:

I dont' understand those craft shows on HSN where they sell kits and gadgets to make elaborate cards...people rip open the envelope, look at it for five seconds, and put it on a table or on a string to display.

Or they throw it in the garbage.

I tear mine in half and write (errand or reminder) notes or shopping lists on mine.  I use them up first before I go for a pad of paper.  I also use the paint sample cards for lists and such, if I don't return them.

Honored Contributor

I'm not much of a holiday girl, anyway.  I send a card to my father, out of a sense of duty and buy a card for the husband - same reason.

I think you should do what feels right for you and others should not judge you for that.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I tear mine in half and write (errand or reminder) notes or shopping lists on mine.  I use them up first before I go for a pad of paper.  I also use the paint sample cards for lists and such, if I don't return them.

I used them to write down Yahtzee scores when I ran out of score sheets.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely will be sending out cards again this year. I LOVE DOING THIS; I always add some extra info on each card.

Respected Contributor

I am also use old scrap papers for notes and lists. I remember my grandmother always used the backs of envelopes for her grocery lists. When I was in grade school, the teacher would make notepads by taking leftover scraps of small pape.r stacking them neatly, and putting mucilage glue all over one side of the stack. It held the papers together and you could tear a page off leaving the rest if the pages intact. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Burgoyne makes some beautiful cards. I just remembered with the cost of postage having increased, many probably won't be sending outo big bumdles of them like I have seen at the post office in the past.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trailrun23 

I enjoy sending Christmas cards, I have about 20 people I send too and write a short personal note.  I usually get my cards from LANG

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Frequent Contributor

I send Christmas cards to let people know that I still think about them. A lot of the people that I send cards to live in other states and I don’t communicate with them much during the year, but we all still love each other. I have a card/address book that has a date grid in it and I am able to keep track of what year I sent a card to someone and what year I received one back from them. This has helped me eliminate sending Christmas cards year after year with no response. It is expensive to send a big stack of Christmas cards. If I am giving someone a present, in person, during the holidays I do not send that person a card. I basically send cards in place of a small gift. The tradition seems to be dying which is sad. Christmas should be from the heart and not be a chore. So I don’t do anything at Christmas anymore that feels like an obligation, a chore, or something that will break my budget. And I have found that it hasn’t impacted any of my relationships with others by cutting back and just enjoying Christmas like it was originally intended.
Trusted Contributor

I retired this year, so am looking forward to having the time to send out some cards, do some decorating, and being a "secret Santa" for a child from a family who cannot afford gifts. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

Cut my card sendiing to about 10 people 10 years ago...