Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thinking about becoming an online travel agent.....need advice, please!

Since you have said you have no knowledge of this industry, working with someone that could train you would be the best possible route, imo. And, in order to have a steady income, you really have to have a large bank of clients.

Remember, even though you can work at home, some clients can be very demanding and I don't think this is say a "9-5" type job.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@Sue98 What an interesting job that would be! I wish you luck.

You might also post here on the Travel Forum. I am sure many of our regular posters would have some thoughts, advice, and recommendations. I know several of them have used online travel agents, so they may give you some tips on what they like about the people they have used and what they don't like. Heart

@World Traveler

@Sue98

The Mods delete duplicate threads.

Honored Contributor

@blueluna wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@Sue98 What an interesting job that would be! I wish you luck.

You might also post here on the Travel Forum. I am sure many of our regular posters would have some thoughts, advice, and recommendations. I know several of them have used online travel agents, so they may give you some tips on what they like about the people they have used and what they don't like. Heart

@World Traveler

The Mods delete duplicate threads.

@blueluna We have a monthly Travel Chat, where she is welcome to ask any question she wants, including if anyone has suggestions, tips, thoughts about being an online travel agent.

Respected Contributor

I would not make any travel plans with someone that knows nothing about it. I have read of some of the messes the untrained make.

Honored Contributor

Did they say how to go about getting your own clients?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sue98 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Sue 98 , Are you supposed to find your own clients or man a phone at a established business?   I have a friend who bought into a franchise and after two years still hasn't made a sale.

Yes, as I understand it, I will be responsible for finding my own clients.  Smiley Sad

Yikes!  She and her husband are in a huge group, but are not allowed to market to them.  They tried to go to bridal shows and hook up with Davids Bridal.  All this has done was cost them money.   I would think long and hard about this.  If you had a store front people would see your business.  Unless you are a professional online marketer I would let this pass.

Just to add.   I was a travel agent before they were computerized in offices. My mother in law owned several.  It was a hard business to make a living at prior to the airlines changing the compensation to agents.   It is too easy for people to either go to a named site like Costco that has packages or directly to the airlines for services.

Honored Contributor

have you ever thought about working for qvc or hsn in customer service?

i believe they have people all over the country who work from their own homes to take orders and handle customer problems.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I don't know anyone who does that for a job, but I think times have changed and a lot of people do their own travel plans.  I haven't used a travel agent in years.  Now that there are sources online - TripAdvisor.com, etc. -- I think a lot of people feel comfortable doing it all themselves.  

Honored Contributor

As long as it's not costing you more money, than bringing in.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to Travel Agent schooling for 6 months.  Got an A in the class, but decided it’s not what I wanted to do.