Respected Contributor

I will think twice before buying on-line.  I bought a pair of sneakers which had to be returned because they were too small.  Always thought I wore a 6, but needed 6.5 in these.  Fortunately, the shipping was free and the sneakers had a great price, but returning them cost $10.29.  I nearly passed out at the post office.  This $40.68 purchase cost me $50.97. Starting today, my on-line shopping will on be from stores that offer free or reduced shipping and free returns or exchanges.  I will also try my darndest to shop on-line stores where I can return to their local B&M store. 

Let's hope I learned my lesson!!!

Honored Contributor

I wish I had your mind set, it would save me hundreds of dollars every year.

Honored Contributor

Everyone needs to do what works best for them

Esteemed Contributor

But....But.....won't you get your $40 (cost of sneakers) back?  Did I miss something?  Yup you're out the return shipping charge $10 - but that's the deal.

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

I will think twice before buying on-line.  I bought a pair of sneakers which had to be returned because they were too small.  Always thought I wore a 6, but needed 6.5 in these.  Fortunately, the shipping was free and the sneakers had a great price, but returning them cost $10.29.  I nearly passed out at the post office.  This $40.68 purchase cost me $50.97. Starting today, my on-line shopping will on be from stores that offer free or reduced shipping and free returns or exchanges.  I will also try my darndest to shop on-line stores where I can return to their local B&M store. 

Let's hope I learned my lesson!!!

Just a suggestion if you don't mind.  Zappos is the best place online for shoes.  Free shipping (usually 2 day) and free returns.  Can return within 365 days!

Honored Contributor
I love Zappos...huge selection also. There are some sites that list free shipping online stores...google “free shipping” and they should come up....one that used to help was free shipping codes dot com but not sure it is still there. Amazon sometimes has several sellers with the same item at the same price....I always choose the one with free shipping since I am not a prime member. I would be financially ruined if I had Amazon prime! Far too tempting.
Respected Contributor

@fthunt   Yes, I will get the $40 for the price of the sneakers.  My gripe was the cost of returning.  Yes, that was the deal and I knew it.  As my post said, I never thought my size 6 would not fit since it's been my size for as long as I can remember.  Think I'm getting lost in the weeds with this, but I hope some understand my thinking. 

Honored Contributor

I think “thinking twice” when purchasing a non-essential items is a good rule to go by in general too. The shipping and return costs definitely make a difference for sure!  

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker 

I stopped buying after realizing starting with Q if the retailer does not refund my original shipping & I need to pay to return (esp. just to try on something) it's a big fat NO.

I looked at what return fees cost me for a 6 month period & yikes, stopped my "impulse" or "wants" shopping real quick.

I only order when traditional stores offer free s/h and I can return locally or I order from Amazon.

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

@fthunt   Yes, I will get the $40 for the price of the sneakers.  My gripe was the cost of returning.  Yes, that was the deal and I knew it.  As my post said, I never thought my size 6 would not fit since it's been my size for as long as I can remember.  Think I'm getting lost in the weeds with this, but I hope some understand my thinking. 

Those of us who have ordered our shoe size & the hosts/vendors stress order regular size -- then you get them and they don't fit...grrrrrrrr

It galls me it's "free" shipping to you but when they don't fit $6.95 to return makes me mad!  I totally understand your post since I've had it happen many times with Clark's, Vionics & recently, Skechers☹️