Respected Contributor

Re: Thinking About Local Sayings

You Can't get they-a from hee-ya.  yes it is a true statement. 

Wickid Pissa Keen.

Don't forget the Gahden.  Boston Garden.  Whatever it is these days it's ALWAYS gonna be The Gahden.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Lake4 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , I used to live in Central PA. Some sayings I learned/heard there are as follows:

you-uns (used when addressing more than one person)

Wrett up (clean up)

Berm (shoulder of a road)

Bald-igle (an area and high school named Bald Eagle)

Sigh...I really miss that area and the people there!

I am in south central PA and have heard all of those words.

The one that confuses me is the word berm.  Berm is a real word and not unusual.  What would people use in it's place?

Some  of the sayings others have posted  I don't think are too local.  I have heard most of them.

I remember when we were in Louisiana.  My DH asked a store keeper "what time do yunz close?"  The poor guy was so confused..so I countered. " How late are you open?"

The dialiac where I grew up and still reside is really distinctive.  I don't speak like a local, but my DH does.  We grew up less than a mile apart.

@Carmie Uh, y'all ain't from 'round here, are 'ya?  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Lake4 wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2 , I used to live in Central PA. Some sayings I learned/heard there are as follows:

Wrett up (clean up)

The one that confuses me is the word berm.  Berm is a real word and not unusual.  What would people use in it's place?

Some  of the sayings others have posted  I don't think are too local.  I have heard most of them.

I remember when we were in Louisiana.  My DH asked a store keeper "what time do yunz close?"  The poor guy was so confused..so I countered. " How late are you open?"

The dialiac where I grew up and still reside is really distinctive.  I don't speak like a local, but my DH does.  We grew up less than a mile apart.

@Carmie 

have never heard the word BERM before when referring to roadways.....we just call it the side of the road or the shoulder.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I grew up and lived in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs for 65 years. Sadly, the only local saying I can think of is "Da Loop"...Downtown Chicago so named after the "L" or elevated trains around the city.

Now that I am in south Florida, I really don't notice any local sayings. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I moved to the Seattle area from SoCal in the late 80's and some of the local sayings took some getting used to.

"Can I go with?" rather that "can I go with you".

a city spelled "Sequim" and pronounced "skwim"

a particularly disgusting local "delicacy" spelled "geoduck" and pronounced "gooeyduck"

You can tell it's a tourist if s/he is carrying an umbrella--natives/long time residents NEVER use umbrellas

"The mountain is out"--refers to when Mt. Rainier is visible

eta: one more way we can discern a tourist: "waRshington"

a phrase that is often used, usually in newscasts: "the other Washington"

Super Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Lake4 wrote:

Wrett up (clean up)

@Carmie 

That is so interesting about you and your husband! It was also good of you to translate for him when you were in Louisiana. 😊

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3,...what about dungarees instead of jeans?

And as another poster mentioned - pocketbooks! "pockahbooks"

Muddling through...
Super Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

@Lake4 wrote:

Wrett up (clean up)

About your wrett up @Lake4 

My mother was from PA and used the term "redd up" or "redd out" so we knew what it meant but no one else did.  After she died we (her children) were talking and wondering about the word,  I looked it up in the dictionary and it is a word, it took me awhile to find it because I was spelling it "red"

@persiflage .

Interesting- I never thought to look it up in the dictionary! Love the Pennsylvania sayings.😊

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala,  my hubby is from Chicago area  -- lived there, and in Wheaton and Carol Stream.

Can't think of any local sayings he has, but I like some of his pronunciations.  He says "roof"  with the short "oo" sound, as in "look".   I love the Chicago accent, which, ironically, he doesn't really have, although some of his relatives do.

Love the Chicago/Great Lakes pronunciation of "Bob".  It's, to my untutored ear, a little like "Bawb".    Or "Bahb" would be closer to it.....  It has some similarities with the classic Buffalo/ Western New York accent....

Respected Contributor

Being from Mass, friendly observation. We never called submarine sandwiches grinders, simply called them “subs”.